DEVO #5 | Hearing From Him

THINK:

   It' s been a spiritual drought lately for some of us. We keep talking to the Lord, but hear nothing back. Our prayers seem to float into the sky and dissolve without answer.

   If God is here and cares, why has he been silent?

   Most Christians try to lead a good life and do what they can to deepen their relationship with God. Read the Bible here and there. Go to church when they can. But, most Christians never feel like it's good enough. And, their imperfections worsen their self-esteem about hearing from God.

"Maybe if I just read my Bible more..."

"I could always join another Bible study..."

"Lord knows that I could use a therapist...."

But, all they feel is the connection with God rusting as seemingly endless waves of guilt come crashing to shore.

SO WHAT?:

  You want to hear from God. You want to know His thoughts, His feelings, and His desires for your life. You try and make time, but feel clarity slipping through your fingers. So, what do you do?

 You wait on the Lord.

Yes, that's correct. You take the longest portion of time you can spare- whatever God puts on your heart- and you sit. And you listen.

God already knows you feel disconnected, so why don't you tell Him? Tell Him how you're struggling and then just listen. You may not hear anything. Maybe you'll get peace. Maybe He'll whisper in your ear. I don't know. But, He'll hear. And He cares.

Don't let the Enemy get you down with the old guilt routine. Okay, you haven't read your Bible. That's not good for your spiritual health, but it doesn't mean God's going to disown you or some other immediate death. You have a good heart, and I'm sure you want to have devotion time.

 If you have the desire to spend time with Him but have no time, God will give you the opportunity to MAKE time, which may mean sacrifices. But, I trust you can cross that bridge when you come to it. This isn't a stressful thing.

It's one of the most difficult things in the world to do: wait. But, God's got an answer to every problem plaguing your heart. Just take a deep breath. Things really are going to be okay....Okay?

LIVE IT OUT:

Go ahead. Get that dusty Bible out and read a bit. Open up a journal and wait to write what God says. Curl up on a couch, talk to him, and rest in God's goodness. Just be, child. Just be in the moment and stop worrying. You're not the orchestrator of the world- God is! So, just enjoy the music.

"Relax, everything's going to be all right; rest, everything's coming together; open your hearts, love is on the way!" - excerpt from Jude 1 : 1-2 [MSG Bible]

"Just as you'll never understand the mystery of life forming in a pregnant woman, So you'll never understand the mystery at work in all that God does." - Ecclesiastes 11:5 [MSG Bible]

"With your very own hands you formed me; now breathe your wisdom over me so I can understand you. When they see me waiting, expecting your Word, those who fear you will take heart and be glad. I can see now, God, that your decisions are right; your testing has taught me what's true and right. Oh, love me—and right now!—hold me tight! just the way you promised. Now comfort me so I can live, really live; your revelation is the tune I dance to. Let the fast-talking tricksters be exposed as frauds; they tried to sell me a bill of goods, but I kept my mind fixed on your counsel. Let those who fear you turn to me for evidence of your wise guidance. And let me live whole and holy, soul and body, so I can always walk with my head held high." - Psalm 119 : 73 - 80 [MSG Bible]