Chapter 1

Beyond the Silver Gates, A Place of Angels

     A lukewarm spring wind of welcome blew across the fragile white lilies lining the ornate iron gate to the glorious St. Bastille's all girl's academy. Their petal wreathed heads swayed as if to bid greeting to the numerous unfamiliar faces crowded just outside the gate. Fourteen year old Ayamine Kaname could not help but smile childishly back at the beautiful flowers. She was a rather endearing girl with a round, childish face sporting a narrow chin, delicate lips, and a pair of droopy lavender eyes that provided her with a bit of a sleepy look. Her short dark purple hair in the style of a jagged bob-cut was pinned back on the right side by two small metal hair clips and bounced cheerily when she moved. On the left side a small braid adorning the front swayed sunder to the rest of her hair.

     Unlike most of the girls comprising the gleaming white flock at the front gate for orientation, the blazing white St. Bastille one-piece winter uniform looked a bit too mature on the short girl. It was lose all over, mainly in the chest area, and the navy blue silk ribbon that decorated the folded collar had even become a little untied. Kaname was at fault for that imperfection; she had been so nervous upon arriving at the gate, she unconsciously found herself pulling at the thing up until recently.

     Just standing in front of these academy gates was like a dream come true to her. All her life, she desired nothing more than to go a place dominated by angels. Through the twisting white silk and ungracious folds marring her uniform, she herself had a long way to go, but that was the least her concerns. She knew the angels she so childishly swooned over were here; one had come to her in a dream just last year! She had been the epitome of beauty with flowing pale locks adorned by a coppery tinge, ivory skin that sparkled in the surreal dream world light, vivid blue eyes, and a pure white uniform jeweled by sparkling beads of water. After that night, her heart soared at the thought of her; palpitated and fawned over her resplendent beauty. And now she was here, one step closer to walking the same sparkling path. Maybe that angel was even here resting among the glorious swans she was yet to see? How she embraced the thought! Perhaps, through independence and mentoring, could she, too, one day blossom into such a resplendent beauty? It was highly unlikely, and the foolish thought made her giggle, but there were always possibilities. That is, if she kept optimistic.

     The crowd of chattering girls suddenly shifted in a chaotic squealing wave. Kaname perched on her toes to try to glimpse the source of their uproar over the sea of bobbing heads. What's going on? Before she could even react, something, or rather someone, crashed into her side and toppled her to the dusty cobblestone ground.

     "Gah!"

     "Ow!"

     A soft squeak mingled with hers. There was a warm weight crushing her supple torso. It had to have been the girl's who had fallen on her. Kaname whimpered as she half-opened her eyes - she hadn't noticed she had squeeze them shut - and bit down another pained squeak. The weight atop of her shifted suddenly.

     "O-Oh my! Lele is soo sorry! Are you okay?!" A shrill young voice chirped out.

     Kaname gave a sweet smile of reassurance and began to push herself up with her elbows. Her spine stung, so she stopped midway as to not strain herself. A small pale girl with dazzling shoulder-length white hair looked down at her in concern. Through the heavy shadows created by the thick layer of straight cut bangs, a pair of wine-colored orbs framed by pale white lashes gazed back in intense worry. There was a little hair clip emulating the shape of a black cat on one side of her head that appeared crooked. It was probably due to the fall. Kaname found her adorable nonetheless.