Chapter 2

Of the Forthcomings of Adjustment

The large dining hall was abuzz with the excited chattering of groups of squealing girls. It was a spacious white-walled hall fortified with thin columns suggesting inspiration from Greek architect and adorned by rows of large paned glass windows. A massive glass chandelier hung above six extensive chains of long tables. Crowning these tables were small ornamental candles, vases of fresh white lilies, and rows of shimmering white plates; some covered with generous portions of rice, vegetables, and small slabs of cooked fish while others were garnished with a seasoned salad substitute.

Kaname prodded at a chunk of fish immodestly with a fork. Her whole being swayed in effort in feeble attempts to keep herself from falling asleep and possibly colliding with her plate before her. Dark eyelashes feathered sleepily over groggy lavender orbs. She had not slept very well the previous night. A nightmare had poisoned her sleep, and in the midst of the turmoil, a blight of home sickness. Not only that, however, but she had been late to dinner on the premises of getting lost once and had to be administered a brief lecture by a temperamental Shizuno.

The council librarian...

She could feel those glaring honey orbs blazing through her from across the room. It was only felt in brief periodic windows, however, for the girl would often break it to gaze down at her food or at a fellow council member on either side of her. Nonetheless, it was unnerving. Though Kaname was a bit too sleepy to fully care.

She started to arch towards her food in an almost unnatural way, and a neighboring girl leaned over to prod her awake. Purple eyes flickered through the dreamy haze of sleep. How was she to get through her first day? Hold on and hope not to fall asleep? She hoped Lele's boundless energy, whenever she would see her today, would be enough to wake her. Even if only just a little.

Lele had not been able to sit with her because the tables were organized by year. It was a large discontent to some, but it was necessary to maintain proper order and harmony among the students. The first years sat at the first table farthest to the wall, then came the second years, then the third years, and so on. The student council members occupied a single lone table set horizontally facing the swelling crowd behind a podium on a slightly elevated part of the room. It was not to define hierarchy nor pedestal them above the masses, but to give them a high vantage point so they could sweep their gazes over the crowd and ensure everything was running smoothly. Sometimes they would step down to mingle with a select table, but they had to always return to their designated one when the prayer was given before and after eating. Student council vice president Sachiko delivered the morning's one; Shizuno had occupied last night's. Tonight's dinner would be blessed by another. No girl could deliver one both at breakfast and dinner in a single day. Kaname wasn't quite sure why, but understood it had something to do with taboo.

The drone of the mass of girls soon dissolved into hush whispers as Sachiko rose from her seat to approach the podium. Her chestnut locks swayed behind her in bountiful curls. They framed her face, making it appear narrow but no less beautiful. She looked small behind the podium's ornamental girth. Kaname managed to shift her sleepy gaze to the council president.

"Thank you all for attending this morning. This concludes the end of another breakfast. Let us bless this day to be as gracious as the last and express gratitude for the meals we were so generously provided. Mary, please lend your watchful eye over everyone today as you have done for this academy for many a generous year."

Her voice rang powerfully through the spacious room. It held a comforting tone that was in stark contrast to its sacred ring. With a lovely smile, the pale brunette turned away from the podium to finish her plate. In a matter of minutes, breakfast officially concluded, and the massive swell of girls commenced flowing out through the large double doors. Kaname shuffled out along with them.