Chapter Nine

Hot, rancid breath assaults my nostrils. I panic. I don't remember hearing the door open, but there is someone in my room. His weight settles on the bed, and I try to turn over, but then a sharp pain lances my side. I gasp at the force of the blow to my stomach and for a second I can't tell if the person on the bed hit me or if it's Mary getting hit. A feeling of helplessness overwhelms me. I want to just give up, to beg for death in that moment. Mary, its Mary that wants to give up. She's in so much pain. She's been hurt so badly, she wants to die.

"So pretty," he whispers and big beefy hands start to stroke my hair. My own reality leaks back in with the touch of those hands on me. The thought of getting raped on my own bed snaps whatever bond I share with Mary. Her pain goes away and my head clears. The helplessness vanishes and my fighting instincts kick in. Oh, no you don't you freak! I roll, pull my legs up and in, then hit him squarely in the chest with both feet, all the while screaming at the top of my lungs. He falls backward and hits the floor. I jump to the other side, so that the bed is between us. The only weapon I can grab is the bedside lamp. Not much, but it'll do.

My door bursts open to reveal Officer Dan and Mrs. O.

"Mattie?" Mrs. Olson stares at me, alarmed.  Then her eyes fall on my attacker in the floor.  "Stevie?"

Stevie?

"Stevie, are you okay?" Mrs. Olson actually bends down and helps him up. What?

"Him?" I shout. "He's the one who attacked me!"

"Attacked you? What are you talking about, Mattie? Stevie wouldn't hurt anyone."

"Really?  Then why did he just attack me?"

"Everybody, let's just calm down," Officer Dan says. "Mattie, what happened?"

"This, this person came into my room and attacked me!"

"I just wanted to help," Stevie piped in. "You were crying."

"Help me?" I shriek. "You were touching me! Nobody touches me!"

"Pretty hair." Stevie smiles at me. That's when I get a good look at him and I understand why Mrs. Olson is not reacting the way I am. Stevie has Down syndrome. I calm down, but only slightly.

"Stevie, honey, go on to your room now." When he shuffles out, she turns to me. "Mattie, that boy doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I'm sure he wasn't trying to hurt you. He's special."

"I can see that, Mrs. O. Anyone who looks at him knows that, but it doesn't give him the right to come into my room and TOUCH me! He comes near me again, and I swear he won't walk away with hands attached."

"Of course it doesn't, honey," Mrs. Olson soothes. "I'm sure he was only trying to help. Why were you crying?"

"I wasn't," I deny. "I never cry." It had been more whimpering, definitely not crying. I'm a tough girl, crying isn't in my genetic makeup. Usually.

Mrs. Olson sighs heavily and I interrupt before she can try to expound upon the whole tears issues. I turn my attention to Officer Dan.

"Just what are you doing here, Officer Dan?" The sarcasm drips heavily. I'm still pissed at him.

"I know we already did a follow up interview on Sally, but I wanted to come by to check on you," he says and eyes me nervously. He'd better be nervous, the jerk.

"You have time to come and check on me but not return my calls?"

"Mrs. Olson, may I talk to Mattie for a few minutes alone?" Officer Dan asks and gives her those warm friendly eyes. She smiles.