Chapter Twenty Two

Part III:  Truths

Dr. Olivet takes his time getting a coffee that has more bells and whistles than Dan's did. I'd rolled my eyes when Dan had given the barista his order. Why people doctor the flavor of their coffee so heavily or drown it in whip cream. It ends up tasting nothing like what it should.

Once he's settled and sipping his coffee, he smiles. "So, ghosts?"

Now, there's a loaded question if there ever was one. There's so much I want to ask him, but at the same time, I don't want to tell him the truth either and have him laugh at me. Where to start?  How do I ask the questions I need to ask without sounding like I'm nuts? Dan kicks me under the table and I turn and glare at him. I know I'm gawking, but it's not every day I meet someone who has potential answers about my curse.

Dr. Olivet starts the conversation for me. "You said in your email you were working on a novel?"

I want to smack myself. I'd forgotten I'd told him I was writing a novel and wanted some information to make the story more believable. This is perfect! I'm so brilliant I amaze even myself sometimes.

I nod. "Yeah. My main character can see ghosts. I don't mean see the outlines of ghosts out the corner of her eye, but actually see them. They are as clear to her as you are to me."

It's Dr. Olivet's turn to nod. "There are several cultures who believe in that actually. It's a rare gift, but not unheard of certainly."

"Really?" There were others who could do what I can? I'm so gonna have to go look up some more stuff. "I didn't think that was possible."

"You'd be amazed at what is possible in the world of the supernatural," he says. "The very fact that you even thought of it tells me you've either done a lot of research or you're more open to the supernatural than most."

"I Googled some stuff on ghosts, but what I can... what my character can do, well, I didn't find anything about that on the internet." Crap. I got so excited there for a second I almost slipped. Too much stuff to handle today.

"There's not a whole lot of information about that particular skill on the internet. I read about it in actual books." He grins at my involuntary cringe before continuing. "There are many theories about why people can see ghosts that range from sheer nonsense to very scientific explanations."   

"So you believe people can see ghosts?" I ask him.

"Of course," he replies immediately. "The degree to which we can see them is debatable, though. I've never actually met someone who could see them as an almost physical entity, but I've met enough people who see enough to prove to me they're the real deal."

"So it wouldn't be believable if my character could not only see them but talk to them too?"

"Ghosts can communicate with us." He takes another drink of his coffee, a calculating look in his eyes. "Everything in the universe is made up of energy and in order for things to interact with other things, energy is needed and used. The same can be said of ghosts. They can communicate from the energy they've stored up. Once that energy is depleted, they need to recharge. I've seen things move, I've heard whispers in my ear, and I've recorded anomalies on camera. It's all just degrees of energy, so yes, it would make sense that your... character could sense when a ghost is trying to communicate with her."

"Okay, let's say that my character has a special gift that defies those laws. She can see ghosts clearly, have conversations with them, and they can physically touch her and cause her harm."

He stops sipping his coffee and just stares at me. It makes me extremely nervous. Dan inches closer, somehow sensing I need the support. He knows me so well and I can't figure out how he does. Dr. Olivet sets his cup down and leans back, those eyes never leaving my face. They have gone past calculating to something very unusual. He looks like a kid who just got a brand new PS Vita for his birthday.