Chapter 1: Departure

Everyone was bustling around the house, getting ready to send my little brother and me off to Jurassic World. My Aunt Claire works there and my parents think it would be good for us to have a family week, even though they won't be there.

"Call me every day, and text me pictures so I don't forget what you look like," My girlfriend rambled on as she held onto my gloved hands. I honestly wasn't listening. I was too focused on anything else.

"I'm only gonna be gone a week," I mumbled, as the rest of my family walked out of the house.

"You're not going off to war here, Zach, please come on," Dad called as he loaded the van. I looked back at my girlfriend and let go of her hands, which she kept a tight grip on.

"I-" I started,

"I love you," She cut me off and smiled widely. I gave her an awkward smile as I continued,

"-Will see you later," I said as I turned and walked toward the van. I got in the van and sat in the back beside my brother, Gray, pulling out my headphones and phone.

"Are you in, buddy?" My dad asked. I simply huffed in response and slipped my headphones on. Mom turned and patted my knee, trying to comfort me, even though I wasn't really sad.

"I know it hurts, sweetheart, are you gonna be okay?" She asks. I roll my eyes and start my music before turning to stare out of the window.

~***~

About an hour later, we arrived at the airport and started toward the proper terminal. After going through security and finding the correct flight gate, we stopped just before getting on the plane.

"Is everything right on here?" I heard my mom ask as she checked the tickets Gray was holding. Gray tapped my side to get me to pay attention and when I turned to look at my parents, I saw my mom tearing up. "I'm so jealous!" She said, trying to hide the fact that she was about to cry. I turned away again and looked around the airport trying to avoid an emotional goodbye. "You, hold these please," I snapped my head back to my mom when she pushed the tickets toward me. At first, I got confused and just looked at them, "Can you hold these, Zach? Honey, I need you to take care of these," Mom insisted as I finally took the tickets from her and stuffed them in my pocket.

"Yeah," I muttered.

"Hey," Dad cut in with an annoyed tone and I rolled my eyes,

"Alright!" I huffed and shifted my weight, tired of standing here awkwardly. I nodded along when Mom started to ramble on about answering my phone when she called and taking care of Gray. Basic stuff that I already knew.

"And don't forget that when you get off the faerie, someone is going to pick you up, okay? Don't leave the dock without your guide." Mom finished. She leaned down to talk to Gray again, "And if something chases you, run," She laughed.

"Okay, you're funny, let's go," I said as I pulled Gray toward the line of people boarding the plane. My mom shouts out one last goodbye before we finally get onto the plane.