Chapter 4

// Veronica //

"Oh this will be so great!" Mother claps, Happily. "I'm already looking forward to spending time with Gloria tonight. I can't believe this was your idea." She giggles. I force a smile onto my face and try my best not to say anything rude. "Well I had a marvelous time last time, Despite how I felt beforehand." I grin.

"You know something Veronica, You are growing into an amazing young lady." She smiles, Coming over to rub my arms. "You've made mistakes in the past, Yes, But you are really changing and becoming an amazing adult."

"Mistakes?" I raise a brow, Stepping away from her slightly. "I've made no mistakes that I can remember." I state coldly. "If you're speaking of the murder of your lover-"

"I prefer we not talk about it directly." She mutters.

"That was not a mistake, Mother. In fact, It might be my greatest accomplishment. As of right now at least. I have a feeling that soon enough, I'll have something even better to be proud of." I chuckle. "But let's not worry about the near future. Let's just worry about this dinner." I smile.

"Miss Angela? What will we be having for dinner?" I ask nicely.

She narrows her eyes at me. "We're having sea food. Lobster, Crabs, Oysters. A bit of caviar on the side." She watches as mother walks away and then turns back to me to talk once again, This time in a low voice. "Young lady you may be fooling your mother but you most certainly are not fooling me. You are one sneaky little snake, I'll give ya that." She spats. I keep my innocent facial expression on and tilt my head.

"Miss Angela, I have no idea what you're talking about. I simply want to have a good dinner tonight...I'm in a fantastic mood! Do.Not. Ruin it." I growl, Dropping my smile. She shakes her head at me and scoffs. "I'll be keeping a very close eye on you." She mutters before walking away.

"Miss Angela is right." My brother's quiet voice makes me jump before I turn to face him. "You are my sister and I know you're up to no good. Why have you invited the Mott's over to dinner?" He asks. I sigh.

"Why are you always In my business?!" I exclaim. "Me and mother are the only ones in this house excited about this dinner! Are you and Angela determined to ruin a nice thing?" I ask. "Don't worry. We'll be having a lot of fun tonight. For now-" I say before stealing a biscuit from miss Angela's tray as she passes by, "Please. Have a biscuit." I say holding it to his lips.

He looks at me skeptically as he takes a bite and I smile. "Now, That outfit simply will not do. Let's go up to your room and find you something nice to wear so that you can be presentable for the night."

*******

"We do very much appreciate your invite, Dear." Gloria smiles as I lead them towards my house. Mother had told me to come and get them so they wouldn't have to walk all alone. It makes no sense to me. It's only a short walk, They didn't need an escort. But the least I can do is obey my mother's orders since she does only have a few hours left here on earth.

"Oh you're very welcome. Believe me when I say this is truly my pleasure." I smile.

When we step into my yard, The front door immediately swings open. Gloria walks ahead to greet mother but me and Dandy stay behind. "My brother is locked in the bathroom." I whisper. "The maid won't be present during dinner. Mother told her she could go home after she finished cooking."

"This will be wonderful." He smiles. "Will we get to eat first? I certainly am hungry."

"Well it'd be just cruel to let them die on empty stomachs. Maybe we can eat slowly though? I'll be too busy watching and observing to eat my food quickly. I'm giddy." I mumble.