Part 5

Finn groaned but made no move to respond or even sit up. In the following silence the small man carried on talking, his words getting faster and faster until it was all Finn could do to understand him.

"Although of course living tree isn't the best of terms for them because all trees are technically living after all. And if you're not from around here, which I'm guessing you're not, the term won't mean much anyway. Perhaps thinking trees would be a better term for them, or sentient trees. Or rotten-to-the-core-and-out-to-get-you trees."

Finn cracked his eyes open and squinted up at the man, who was now gazing at the tree thoughtfully.

"Are you saying this tree is alive and can think and move and do things?"

The other man nodded. "There's quite a number of them dotted across the island. And all of them rotten and cruel, delighting in causing mayhem and mischief. Natur-gicians have tried studying them for years to find out what makes a tree turn into a living tree but they've had no luck. Mainly because they can't get within about ten feet of a living tree without being pelted by branches. I am terribly sorry about your fall by the way."

Moving as slowly as he could Finn sat up and waited for the world to stop spinning.

"Don't worry about it."

He studied the tree but it now looked as innocent and treelike as the rest of them. In fact if it wasn't for the purple top hat still lodged high up in the branches Finn would be hard pressed to pick out which tree it was that had just thrown him to the ground. And then, as if it could sense Finn's gaze, the tree in question waved its' branches for a moment before going still again. It was clearly a warning. Stay away.

"The name's Jarrold by the way."

Finn shook his hand. "I'm Finn."

Jarrold sighed. "I suppose my hat's lost. It's a shame, that was my favourite."

"Not necessarily," said Finn thoughtfully. "I've got an idea."

He reached into his pack for his tinderbox and, keeping it concealed behind his back, crossed the clearing again to the tree. The branches stirred restlessly but before the tree could make up its' mind to attack him he crouched down at the base of the trunk, safely out of harm's way.

Jarrold gave a somewhat nervous laugh as he realised Finn's plan.

"Do be careful won't you," he said. "We are surrounded by trees after all."

Finn waved a hand dismissively and then struck the flint down hard against the firesteel. A couple of sparks flew off and the tree realised what he was doing. The branches whirled around in such a frenzy that it made Jarrold fall over but Finn was safely out of reach. He struck the firesteel again. More sparks fell to the tinder beneath.

Realising that Finn was too low down to reach the tree tried another tactic. Twigs and small branches began raining down heavily on Finn, catching in his hair and scratching his hands and face.

"Just give us the hat and we'll be on our way," he called.

The missiles continued to fall. A branch the thickness of Finn's forearm fell, missing his head by inches and he couldn't help questioning the sanity that had got him in this situation. And all for a hat! And then through the rain of twigs he saw a blur of purple fly through the air followed by Jarrold's jubilant cry.

"I've got it!"

Finn gathered everything up and darted out from under the tree, ducking the branches that were once again out to get him, and across the clearing. He dropped the smoking embers with a hiss and ground them firmly into the damp floor as Jarrold, hat and all, beamed up at him.

"However can I thank you?" He asked, shaking Finn's hand vigorously. "Endangering life and limb just for my hat! It's almost too much to believe."

Finn was beginning to feel worn out just watching Jarrold and his unwavering enthusiasm. He gently untangled his hand from both of Jarrold's and said, "Really no thanks are necessary. But now I must be on my way. And I'd advise not hanging around here."

They both eyed the tree warily. It was still moving and swaying agitatedly and half-heartedly throwing out the odd twig that fell far short of them. Shouldering his pack Finn nodded at Jarrold and re-joined the path on the other side of the clearing. But he'd only taken about half a dozen steps when he heard hurried footsteps behind him and then there was Jarrold walking casually at his side.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Travelling with you until I can repay the debt of gratitude that I owe you," Jarrold replied.

Finn fought back a groan with difficulty. He'd been thrown from a tree, attacked by said tree, burnt his hand and now apparently gained a travel companion. If this was what came of doing someone a good deed he didn't think he'd bother again.

"You really don't need to do that. I-"

Jarrold interrupted him positively fiercely. "I insist. I owe you a debt and it would shame me and all of my ancestors if you don't let me repay it."

They walked in silence for a few moments and then Jarrold added, "As long as there are no horses involved. You're not travelling by horse at all are you?"

Finn shook his head.

"Good. If you were we'd have to say goodbye. Horses become quite angry around me. It's because I'm a Raenor. They don't trust us because of our height."

Having never even heard of Raenors Finn simply nodded.

The path began to wind its' way more steeply downhill and Finn had to make a conscious effort to shorten his strides so that Jarrold could keep up with him. At least they hadn't been attacked by any more trees and it was peaceful again. The leaves whispered in the wind and just off to their left a bird whistled a soothing tune. Bliss.

"So where are we going?"

Finn sighed. If only he did have a horse with him. He began to explain.

"Hawthorne Beach?" Jarrold echoed. "Why that's wonderful! They've been having some dreadful dragon problems in that part of the island just recently, crops burnt, livestock being carried away, I've even heard tell of a few people being eaten. Not that any of that's wonderful of course but what is is that I am something of a talisman against dragons."

He spoke so quickly and excitedly that it took Finn a moment to catch up with what he'd said.

"A talisman?"

Jarrold nodded. "Oh yes. I used to follow my great uncle Willard everywhere when I was a boy. I stuck closer to him than his own shadow. Then one summer when I was eight I spent a week in bed with Troll Flu and he was eaten by a dragon."

Finn gave a splutter of a laugh that he quickly stifled and Jarrold continued speaking as if he hadn't heard it.

"As long as I stay with you you'll be fine. I just hope it's not too late for your brother."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*