a second chance

A Second Chance

submitted 19 hours ago * by 123123sora

When you were born, you were so tiny and vulnerable. The one who delivered you looked down at your innocent face and smiled.

You grew up and lived your life, your smallness and innocence fading with age.

And then, you died.

You woke up in what appeared to be a waiting room. There was a blonde woman behind a counter that had the word "RECEPTION" plastered across it in blinking neon letters.

You approached the front desk and the lady smiled at you. "Hello there!" She said, "Welcome to purgatory!"

Your eyes widened and you looked around. You noticed that the waiting room seemed to stretch on forever on both sides of you, yet you seemed to be the only one there.

"Wh-" You began to speak, but you were cut off.

"You have two choices," She said, her laugh lines deepening as she gave you a fake-looking smile. "Your first choice: You can have another chance at life! If there's anything you did wrong in life, you can feel free to try again. Your second choice: You can move on from life and face what truly comes after death. However, what comes next will be a complete mystery, so choose wisely!"

You stood there, looking at her with your eyes wide and your mouth hanging slightly open. Relive your life, or face the unknown? The thought of not knowing what would happen to you scared you to no end.

"If I try again... Will I be able to keep my memories?" You asked shakily.

The lady at the reception desk nodded cheerfully. "Yep! All of the memories from your past life are carried over."

"O-okay then, I guess I choose to try again..." You said.

"Great! Just go through there." She pointed to a door on her left side.

"Okay, thank you..." You walked towards the door and opened it. Suddenly, a bright light enveloped you and you could somehow hear the woman's voice again.

"This is your four trillion, nine-hundred and forty two billion, four hundred and sixty eight million, three hundred and thirty thousand, one hundred and ninth chance at life. I hope it will be the one where you finally find what you are looking for!"

You felt a sinking feeling deep in the pit of your very being as you realized what was happening, and let out a shrill scream.

When you were born, you were so tiny and vulnerable. Your infantile mind could never hold all of your past memories and they were forgotten as soon as you exited your mother's womb.

The woman who had delivered you looked down at your innocent face and smiled.