5: Roadtrip

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140727024123/degrassi/images/9/9a/-lydia-martin-lydia-martin-32720846-500-245.gif.

A FEW DAYS LATER

I shivered slightly, my legs swinging back and forth as I sat beside Rebekah on the roof of a stray car. It still fascinated me that even in death, my body could still react to the elements--that or my shiver was a delayed reaction from being forced to watch a dear friend shut off their humanity. The night felt as though it had gone on forever...I understood why Niklaus pushed Stefan, why he felt it necessary to parade around as their monster and reinforce the hatred they all felt towards him. He was hurt, and now he was lashing out--a trait I noticed him copying from the man he once believed to be his father. And while seeing the torment in Stefan's eyes as he finally let go, and knowing the hell he'll put himself through when he eventually came back. I knew he had Elena and Damon and all of the Mystic Falls crew to ensure he found himself again, so I had nothing to worry about. But seeing the extent Nik had changed in a millennium...that terrified me...

I glanced back toward the hospital the doppelganger currently lay in, put asleep for blood collection once Niklaus discovered only through consuming her blood would his hybrids be capable of surviving the transition. Seeing Tyler Lockwood of all people hold the same auburn eyes and sharpened fangs as my closest friend and I was certainly a jarring end to our arrival. As I said, the night had been too long...

Rebekah's voice broke me from my thoughts, "So the doppelganger isn't the problem, her blood is the solution."

I found Nik's gaze, his smile seeming forced as he leaned over the car's hood beside us. "Seems so..."

"How did you know?"

"Well, you know how much the Original witch hated me." I frowned with the comment, remembering Esther being at least more loving toward Niklaus than the other parental figure in his life. "Do you honestly think I would do anything other then the opposite of what she says(?)"

Rebekah chuckled, "A thousand years in the grave and she's still screwing with you."

"Well, it makes sense if you think about it from her perspective. It was her failsafe in case I ever broke the hybrid curse; The doppelganger had to die in order for me to become a hybrid, but if she was dead..." he trailed off.

"Then you couldn't use her blood to sire yourself a new species..." I released a breath with the words, not at all surprised with their mothers actions when I remembered how disturbed she seemed with her immortality spell in the end.

"Leaving me alone for all of time," his smile was sad, forcing an ache through my heart.

"Is that what this is about, your obsession with hybrids? You just don't want to be alone?" Although Rebekah was equally intrigued, I stole her questions. I did wonder why Nik desired this little army so much--but I just assumed it was to heighten his infamous status as one to truly be feared. But if all of this stemmed from the human fear of abandonment, if his need to cart his family around in coffins was because he feared their freedom would irradicate their loyalty...I couldn't help but blame myself for being the first one to leave him all those years ago...

I couldn't see in his head, didn't know if my presence could have ever held that large of an impact. And while it would kill me if those theories were true, I'd like to believe I was the closest person to him besides his siblings, besides his love for Tatia. He was my best friend, my first love...and the largest part of my heart had always hoped that I would also be his..."What I want, is to take my girls, take my hybrid the hell out of this one pony town." His stare was so intense, I almost forgot to breathe--and then I remembered I didn't even have to. He trailed away from us, hiding his face and all manners of emotions before glancing back in our direction. "You know why don't you--uh--why don't you get the truck, Rebekah? Ara and I will get Elena."