10: Heartbreak

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ftmzs6ZY1rvj648.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

ARABELLA'S POV

Since discovering my one true fear in life once again walked the Earth I felt a strange numbness settle in my blood. Even with Nik's reassurance that she forced my blackout because she needed a private discussion with her children, even with his promise that she swore no-longer wishing to extend ill will to me. I was terrified. I feared having gained everything I had ever wanted in my life, and her mere presence shattering it in the blink of an eye because of a hatred surpassing a millennium. She hadn't spoken to me yet. The only confirmation I had received that Nik's words were true being Rebekah seeking me out shortly after I awoke this morning, dragging me along to be dressed for a spontaneous ball while explaining her mother's intentions in depth.

It was strange learning of Esther's plan to keep her family in Mystic Falls, wishing all of them to put aside their differences and be a family again. The ball this evening was a method of integrating into the Mystic Falls community, meet all the influential faces, and put down a stamp that the Mikaelsons were here to stay. Her extension of the invite toward me, especially when our last encounter was filled with threats, confused me. But I suppose watching in misery for a thousand years all the hell your children have both experienced and caused...maybe she was being genuine...maybe she really did just want her family back...

"Someone looks miserable..." the smooth voice of a Salvatore tickled my ear, forcing me from my thoughts as I remembered my surroundings. The ball had begun about an hour ago and guests had only just slowed in their arrival, Elijah soon expected to announce the beginning of the evening with a centuries-old waltz. I had hidden in the grand entryways corner the second I was finished getting ready, sipping champagne and watching the humans mingle with the supernatural.

"At least I look cute."

"And when did sexy stop being an option(?)" A chuckle escaped me, the tension in my shoulders seeming to ease for the first time in a week:

https://49.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1zcjyJVdi1r8rl1xo1_500.gif.

"I think you're being sexy enough for the both of us," his expression turned smug and my giggles only grew

"I think you're being sexy enough for the both of us," his expression turned smug and my giggles only grew. A calm peace came over me over nothing having changed between us. I adored Damon from the second I met him, and I was grateful he still adored me now even with all he now knew of me and my choices.

Further conversation was disturbed, the clinking of a glass forcing the room's attention to the staircase; "Uh, if everyone could gather please." Elijah stood tall, his siblings lining the stairs with him and a burning entering my veins with the sight of Nik in a suit. I shook my head, now was certainly not the time for those type of thoughts...