6: Vulnerable

https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5mk1vSWF01rqbjes.gif.

ARABELLA'S POV

I knew I probably had a crazy look in my eyes, staring down at my lap and picking at the skin surrounding my fingernails as Nik grabbed burgers and shakes from the nearest diner. I was seated in a booth in the far corner of the room, noticing only one waitress and the chef keeping us company, the waitress offering a disgruntled look toward late customers until Niklaus smirked in her direction. That didn't surprise me after I checked my watch, the hands pointing to three-quarters past midnight. I'd feel sympathy for the girl if her blatant flirting with a man I've adored for over a millennium wasn't painfully twisting my gut simultaneously with the fear of being the most open and honest I could be with him since I was a mere wolf--

My lower lip was being shredded, a metallic taste striking my tongue not even easing my assault. Only when a rough thumb tugged at the skin of my chin did my gaze snap up, eyes impossibly widening further at the sight of Nik seated across from me. "Your thoughts are again keeping you from me, love..." His thumb gently moved across my bottom lip as the cut my teeth carved out healed, his gaze darkening for only seconds before he pulled back completely, arms laying across the back of his bench as we waited for our meals. My cheeks burned.

"Sorry, Nik..."

"No need to apologize, but I wouldn't mind you sharing..." and I knew this was it.

It was time to be vulnerable:

https://data.whicdn.com/images/318331003/original.gif.

My exhale was heavy, shoulders sagging as I dropped all walls protecting me

My exhale was heavy, shoulders sagging as I dropped all walls protecting me..."On the night you were turned, I found Rebekah's corpse just after Mikael had stabbed her." His eyes widened with the news, "He was no-where in sight, thankfully, but your mother was there. I thought it was strange that night, how she sent me to deliver Dahlia herbs so late in the evening but I would never question it. She brought me into your home, allowed me a roof over my head even when we were all grieving. She kept my secret, Nik. She learned I was a wolf the second we touched hands and she chose to trust me even though everyone feared them in the village--even though she raised you to fear them..."

"She always knew..." his words weren't a question, but merely a mutter of shock. His emotions were in his eyes but they were moving too quickly for me to decipher them. I wanted to reach across and offer him comfort, but I knew he wouldn't accept it when I had more to say, more he was desperate to know...

"She explained what had happened, the immortality spell she had forced on you all. I disagreed with her. The first time since meeting the woman and I voiced she was in the wrong...she didn't take it well..."

His look quickly turned deadly, "What did she do to you, Arabella?"

"She turned on me. She wanted me out--wanted her family to be purified of any connection to the being I was...she didn't know you were also like me, Nik. Or, I at least hoped she didn't...But I went against her. I took what remained of what turned you all, I ended my own life--that part of what she shared with you is true. But I ended it to be reunited with you all again, reunited with the only people I've ever cared about...ever loved..."