Chapter 6: Dance for the Dead

I was halfway home before I decided to sneak back to the gym. It wasn't hard to climb the school wall, and while one of the janitors opened the door to take the trash out, I snuck back in. Everyone had left for the day and no one was in the gym when I got there. I walked over to the coach's office... Locked. I went over to the window and pulled it open. Climbing through was easy as I landed inside the room. I took a cup from off the counter and poured myself some water. With the cup I left the room and closed the window behind me. I walked quickly yet carefully to the chemistry room and luckily the door wasn't locked. This school really ought to get some better security.

Inside the chemistry room I pulled up a microscope. After pouring a little of the water into a dish I placed it under the microscope. I magnified it to find little electronic nano-bots floating around the water.

"What are these?" I said to no one.

I had to know for sure if these nano-bots were in my best friend's body. I poured the nano-water into a vial, and hid it hoping no one messed with it before I could run more tests.

 The sun was beginning to set when I left the school and biked to Akane's house. I rang the doorbell and her dad answered the door.

"I'm here to see Akane." I told him.

"I just got back from work so I don't really know if she's here." He said.

"Was the hospital busy today?" I asked while taking off my shoes.

"Yes. It always is with our population being so high." He answered walking towards the kitchen

"That's really amazing." I said as I slid on a pair slippers.

"No, I'm not that special." He said going into the kitchen.

Because he was a doctor then he was bound to have some medical supplies, say a syringe? I smiled and walked down the hall into their bathroom and knocked on the door. No one answered so I let myself in closing the door behind me. I searched the cabinet and found what I was looking for. An empty syringe. I left the bathroom and went upstairs to Akane's room. I passed Rin's room on the way. The door was left open and I noticed she wasn't in there. I shrugged to myself and knocked on Akane's door.

After waiting for a few seconds I opened the door.  Just as I entered the room Akane opened her window and jumped out. I was shocked and stood still for a second.

"AKANE" I shouted darting across her room and jumping out the window to follow her.

She quickly climbed onto a roof and began jumping from house to house. I grabbed my bike and went after her on the sidewalk pedaling as fast as I could. When I looked up I noticed she was dancing her way across the buildings. She finally began to slow down after we entered the business district. I wondered if we were getting close, then I saw a group of people standing on the street corner. I recognized them immediately as the girls from the dance team, and in the front leading them on was the coach.

I always knew she was evil! And those teary eyes definitely fooled me. She had played me. She sent me to the principal office knowing he would yell at me and throw me off her scent. But now that I knew, for sure I would not be falling for her tricks again.

I maintained a safe distance and waited for them to do something. The last girl arrived about five minutes later and they took off. They moved quickly on the pavement down streets, and it seemed they took every possible alleyway they could. People on the street were just mere obstacles on a parkour course that they effortlessly avoided. They were finally running on the main road when the group made an abrupt stop up ahead in front of Yoshida Industries.

I stayed about a half block away hiding in the doorway of another office building. I slowly peeked around the corner and noticed them go into the alleyway. I approached the alley slowly and when I reached it I observed the last girl sliding through an open window on the sixth floor. She closed the window behind her and vanished into the room. I sighed to myself and I climbed onto a dumpster. My left leg could just reach the windowsill. I began to pull myself up hoping no one came around and saw me.

"I can't believe I'm doing this!" I said quietly to the wind. I almost cried but I kept climbing. It had been at least five minutes by the time I got up to the window, but when I got there I wished I hadn't.

Blood. It was everywhere. A corpse lying in the middle of a rather large office appeared to be the source. Whoever worked in this office it was had to have been important. The corpse looked as though it had been ravaged apart by hungry wolves. The man's eyes were left sitting on the desk like a decoration or family photo. One of them looked towards the window at me and I almost vomited. I felt faint and noticed my grip weakening. I was about to pass out and the world began to go dark. NO! I thought to myself, to regain control of my limbs. I had to focus so that I could find a way to save the girls. They had a single butcher knife in which they took turns cutting pieces of flesh off the body. The girls who weren't cutting the body were doing something else I recognized.

"The dance for the dead." I thought out loud.