Chapter 2: The Last Dance

"Once more, from the top!" Akira's dance teacher called.

"Come on, you can do it!" Akira's best friend and childhood crush, Jin, encouraged.

"Huff...huff...huff..." Akira panted, wiping sweat off her forehead before raising her Shinai once more.

Her Japanese bamboo sword, hard as steel, weighed about as much as a piano bench which always made her arms ache within 15 minutes into training.

Not to mention the number of pull-ups and push-ups she had to do as warm up before her dance practice.

Well, it might have been dance practice, but really, if Akira had a chance to rename it, she would have called it "Hell Dance Of Torture".

By dance, Akira didn't mean twirling and pirouette-ing and hopping and jumping in a light pink fluffy tutu on the tips of her toes.

By dance, Akira actually meant twirling and whirling and flipping in a snow white kimono with a tight soft baby blue sash which suffocated her, equipped with a sharp Shinai which she had to spin in her palms (without accidentally cutting herself, which was the reason for her ever-bandaged palms) and whirl to strike, as loud as possible, her dance partner, Jin, who was supposed to block the strike.

Akira lost herself in the sweet harmony, twirling and striking and flipping almost automatically.

'If only this would work on Koro-sensei... Unfortunately this method is built to exhibit grace and beauty, not assassinate a target,' she pondered this thoughtfully.

A loud voice shattered her thoughts.

"Alright! Well done, you both have improved! Lesson's over. You may go back home for the day!" The teacher called, smiling and clapping.

Akira and Jin both halted their movements, breathing heavily.

Jin put his weapon aside carefully and slowly sat down, doing some stretches.

Akira, on the other hand, decided to just let her whole body flop onto the ground, her Shinai clanging against the solid marble on the floor.

"Hey, don't do that," Akira heard Jin chid her gently.

Akira grinned tiredly yet cheekily. Signs of fatigue were showing up on her face.

"Hai, hai! Anyway, this is going to happen more since we are still going to dance together for the remaining lessons and performance!"

Akira then yawned loudly.

"Uh-huhhhh... so... like... I'm just... going to... "Akira yawned again deeply. "... take... a quick... nap... before we... leave... zzzzzz..." Akira fell sound asleep.

Jin smiled fondly at Akira.

He patted her head gently, ruffling her hair. Then his smile was gone. He took her into his arms and propped her by a chair.

Then he sighed and kissed her forehead.

"Arigato, Aka-chan. For making these dances the happiest I've experienced." Jin whispered into Akira's ear.

"But..."

Then his face changed, his smile wiped off completely like it never existed in the first place, replaced by a look so bitter it would have caused any flower to wilt.

"Gomenasai. I'm sorry."

"This will be the last time we will dance together."