How to help if someone is having a panic attack.

I'm aware that a lot of people, who may not have anxiety/suffer from panic attacks themselves, will most likely have friends that do, so I've made a list of things that you can do to help someone who's having a panic attack.

- Tell them that you are there for them if they need anything.

- Clear the area around them from people and prying eyes, or move them to a nicer location, away from people.

- Remove them from the situation which has caused the panic attack.

- Assure them that having panic attacks is perfectly normal.

- Distract them.

- Point things out to them to remind them of where they are if they feel they have lost control of their surroundings - but DON'T BE PATRONISING

- If they take medication to deal with panic attacks, remind them to take it.

- Some people relapse a couple of hours after having a panic attack. Keep an eye on them and make sure they're okay.

- If they want to be left alone LEAVE THEM ALONE, but tell them something like "I'll be right back" so it doesn't sound like you're abandoning them but don't wander off. Be close, but not too close.

- If they have sharp objects near them, GET THEM AWAY FROM THE PERSON. Some people scratch themselves etc while having panic attacks.

- Every person has someone that they feel most comfortable with. If you aren't that person try and find the person they are comfortable around as quickly as you can. They will often know the best way to help the person having the panic attack.

- After they've calmed down, get them to drink and eat something.

- DO NOT tell them to calm down.

- DO NOT tell them they're overreacting.

- DO NOT just leave them alone. Some people can do brash things when at this heightened state of anxiety.

- DO NOT give them any sharp objects.

- DO NOT touch them - this may increase their anxiety, even if you meant to comfort them.

- DO NOT continue to console them if THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE CONSOLED.

- DO NOT ask them what their trigger is. Chances are, you'll send them into a worse fit by making them think about it.

- DO NOT put them in/make them stay in an enclosed, loud or very crowded space. Claustrophobia tends to increase during panic attacks.

***

How to contribute:

Write your story, talking about whatever it is you've gone/are going through, whether it be about your experiences with mental health, coming out, or it may be just that you're going through a particularly difficult time at the moment.

Whatever the reason, if you think others could benefit from hearing your story, then email timetotalkbook@gmail.com with your story. If you want to remain anonymous, that's absolutely fine but if not, simply include your first name and your username and I'll dedicate the chapter to you.