Prologue: Featuring Mother Earth

MOTHER EARTH WAS KNOWN TO HAVE MANY DIFFERENT LAYERS OF PERSONALITY. She has a generous and caring side, which gives the warm fires,  pure water, and satisfying food; all one could need.  She has her mysterious side, which holds untold stories about how things work; of which human scientists ponder and question about.  And she has an evil side-- the side that gives thunderous storms in attempt to kill the living; tornadoes and hurricanes trying to destroy hope.  But she does not love. Only the living beings on top of her grounds have the ability to show love. Love comes from the combination of feelings, all from which Mother Earth has, but it only occurs to the people experiencing and living on her layers and sides of feelings, for Mother Earth only feels one feeling at a time.

Mother Earth has never been simple; never been easy to predict.  Her shivers split the ground, her single tear floods cities, and every breath she takes causes a whirlwind of air to escape into the world; she has NEVER been predictable.  But she has never tried to create more, bigger, disasters  

If she tried, mankind would be dead in an instant.  If she tried, the sky could probably turn yellow. She could do practically anything.

But what if she did try?  If she got angry-- if she had no will to see humanity evolve any longer?  Would there be a single survivor

Someday, in the future, she DOES try. She could not bear to see the people of the world argue and such, and in doing so, she breaks the world in two.

One side has color.  The days are bright and beautiful; joyful and wonderful.  Everyone there filled with happiness, curiosity, and kindness; the generous side of the earth.  There, lives Elyssa Burkland, the outcast.

The other side is colorless.  It is full of darkness and gloom.  Everyone there is snappy, angry, and sorrowful. There, lives Edmund Birchwood, too happy for his own good.

Mother Earth, although she was cruel to humanity, still had SOME of her generous side. She decided that IF she ever changed her mind, if she ever wanted to see the evolving of humankind once again, she would bless two younger persons-- one from each world. She chose these two people at birth, a girl and a boy who would be twins if not for the world-split, but did not give her blessing yet. She would wait until she needed them-- IF she ever needed them.

The world went along like this for years. Mother Earth was content, only listening in on the pleasant world, which the people inhabiting it named Joy. She ignored all pleas from the gloomy world. Although, every once and a while, she would check on the boy from Gloom-- Edmund as they called him. He was a mystery. As a child, he would sing and skip to school, and now, as an early teen, he would smile and joke almost as much as a boy from Joy would. Elyssa, however, was cold and calculating; she had nearly no friends because they were all to careless to her. Both children were outcasts in their world, and if they knew of another, different world, they would immediately travel there, because they needed a change.

In a way, Mother Earth granted their wish for change on their 14th birthday.  She was growing lonely and bored, with nothing new to do.  Everyone had the same problems in Joy, and everyone had the same problems in Gloom.   Her life became robotic with nothing else to do than solve the simplest dilemmas, and humanity didn't evolve at all. 

She decided to take action.  For the first time in thousands of years, she took on human form, and walked her lands. First, she traveled to Joy and visited the girl, taking form of a young, sprite woman.

The girl was sleeping with a peaceful face, and so was her mother, the only other person in the household; all for which an easier and more effortless visit for Mother Earth. 

Mother Earth gracefully slid up the stairs, opened the door to the girls room, and placed her hands on the young ladies forehead. She muttered her incarnation softly. "Beatam putas puer iste erit recta via a gemitu cordis mei!" Blessed will this child be, straight from the path of my heart.

A golden light emitted from the girls chest, and it was done. Although it was not visible to most, Mother Earth could see the faint outline of a smile etched on the girls face, one that had not been there before. It had worked.

Mother Earth had a job to do in Gloom now, somewhere she DEFINITELY didn't look forward to going. But, for the sake of the worlds fate, she did it anyway.

She took form of an elderly woman there, slowly walking to the pub which the boy had just been beaten up at. She found him knocked out and alone in an alleyway, the perfect place to bless him at.

Placing her warm hands on his slack forehead, she muttered the same incarnation as she said for the girl. Once again, a golden light emitted from his chest, and it was done. The purple bruises right next to his eyes faded, and all scratches dissipated from his body. He, too had been blessed.

Mother Earth sunk back into the ground from there, softly cackling. She had succeeded in the first phrase of her plan, and there would be many to come. She would be testing their loyalty, bravery, and such next; she had to make sure they were worthy of such big power and responsibility that came from her blessing. She couldn't take her blessing back, but she COULD kill them. It would be a quick and clean death, and Mother Earth would be blaming herself more than she blamed the still developing boy and girl.

Still, she didn't really care for the boy's and girl's safety; she only cared for the plan. She would NEVER mention the curse that was packaged with the blessing.

The boy and girl would have to find out for themselves, and it would have to be learned the hard way. But the price of each one of their mistakes is high-- for them AND the rest of humanity. Terribly high. And, it is a high possibility that plan could go wrong. If that happens, all of them die. Not one human left standing.

***

What do you think the blessing/curse is?  What will the test be that Mother Earth is planning to use on the boy and girl? How will the two fourteen year-olds meet?

The plan is to update this story once a week, and the update will probably be on a weekend. 

How was that? We'd appreciate some feedback, however vague.

Is this a good length for a story?  Comment your opinion.

Thanks for reading!

-Twinys