Chapter 8: Elyssa's Test

Previously with Elyssa: 

Eddie? she called.

Yes?

Do you think we have a chance of doing well on the tests? Anything to keep her mind off the scary teachers.

I hope so, he anxiously replied. I really have no idea what the tests are going to be like, though.

Yeah, she said. I really hope we pass. She could feel Edmund ponder this for a while.

Then, Edmund finally broke the unsettling silence. Elle, he said, putting her new nickname to use. What do you think will happen to us if we fail?

If we fail... Elyssa somberly began. If we fail, Mother Earth will find us and punish us.

How right she was.
***

THE CAFETERIA'S LINES WERE LONG, THE NOISE EARSPLITTING. Every foot of the area was covered by a person sitting, eating, or talking. And the smell, a mixture of processed broccoli and human sweat, wasn't at all pleasant either. It was an unorganized place to say the least, from the flies that cowered near the corners and the teenagers swarming around each other unsupervised.

Elyssa stumbled through the crowd and plopped her tray down next to her new friend, Gwen. Training with knives during Jackson's class had brought them together, and the rest of their classes did nothing but pull them closer.

"Well, this cafeteria sucks," Gwen said, summing the place up. "It's so dirty! I swear I've felt several ants crawl up my pant leg already."

"And the smell, too! It makes me wonder what type of poison they put in this food!" Elyssa's fork dived into her unnaturally green broccoli. Holding her breath, she shoved it into her mouth, anticipating the terrible flavor. "You know what?" Elyssa said, barely keeping down her stomach's contents. "You can have my lunch. I've lost my appetite."

Gwen laughed. "No way, girly. You need your vegetables. I've already got mine!"

Elyssa sighed. "If that's the way you're going to be..." She tried for her signature dramatic pause. "you--" She stopped. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted an extremely tall man whispering something to the instructors. A concerned look covered their faces, and they all began talking at once. Something was going to happen.

"What? What is it, Elyssa?"

"Nothing, Gwen. Nothing." Wait. Why was she keeping the news from Gwen? It wasn't like it was a secret that she couldn't tell. She should tell her. Now. "I mean--" Again, she stopped. This time, though, she was cut off.

"ALL TRAINEES, PLEASE COME TO THE TESTING ROOM. AGAIN: ALL TRAINEES, PLEASE COME TO THE TESTING ROOM. THE TESTS WILL BE HELD EARLY," the intercom blared. "INSTRUCTORS, PLEASE REPORT TO YOUR POSTS. THANK YOU."

Elyssa wasn't able to ask what was happening. She wasn't even able to say a word to Gwen before she was swept away by a sea of people. They led her to a long, narrow hallway. Volunteers lined the passageway, directing people into different doors. Elyssa herself was pushed into a tall, green one.

Ms. Rodriquez's petite frame was the only thing that occupied the blank, white-walled room. Her face seemed to be squinted up in concern, and her mouth was in a grim line of determination. "Elyssa," she said. "you better do well. I'll be counting on you. Don't fail me." A gust of wind whipped Elyssa's hair into her eyes, and she lost sight of her somber instructor.

When her hair fell off her face, Mr. Rodriquez was gone. Instead, she found herself in a low chair, her hands tied behind her. Where was she? Her head dropped downwards and she stared at her lap. How did she get here?

Out of nowhere, a small piece of paper fluttered onto the tops of her legs. It gave her two subtle, but impactful words.

Save me.

Then, shortly after she read it, it soared back into the air. She watched it crumble into dust, the thousands of pieces exploding into the air like fireworks.

Inspired to help the one who needed saving, she fumbled with her tight bonds, feeling for slack. After a lot of rope burns, frustration, and resistance, she pulled her hands out.  Now for the more dangerous part, the rescuing.

She tip-toed out of the room, vulnerable and unarmed. A path of wide, dark corridors led her to a large door, beckoning her to come in. Creaking the door open, she saw what she came for. There was a woman in the middle of the room, tied up to a pole. And not just any woman. The woman was Mother Earth.

Still sneaking, she nimbly leaped over to Mother Earth, prepared for someone to strike out at her. Unexpectedly, she sensed nobody, and she made herself noticed. "Mother Earth, what are you doing here?"

"Leave! Leave now, Elyssa! It's a trap!" Mother Earth commanded. "Go without me! I'll be fine, just go!"

"Calm down," Elyssa soothed. "There's nobody in here. I checked. I wouldn't leave you here, anyway. You're why I came in the first place, silly!"

"No, Elyssa! It's a trap! Leave!"

"No! Don't worry--" Then, she heard the unsettling sound of somebody cocking a gun from behind her.

"Don't move, or you both die!" The man with the gun shouted. Slowly and steadily, Elyssa raised her hands in surrender and turned around. "Now step out of the way. Otherwise, say your last words." The man's hands started to shake.

"No," Elyssa stated simply. "Why should I?"

"Why should you? You're life is in danger! Move out of the way!"

"I won't."

"I'm telling you, move."

"Not as long as I live, I won't."

"I'll give you ten seconds."

Elyssa glanced at Mother Earth, hesitating. Then, confident once again, she said, "Go ahead."

"10...9...8...7...6...5..." The numbers came slowly, the man hesitant to her death. Maybe he wouldn't shoot. He clearly didn't want to. "4...3...2..." He started to stutter. She didn't THINK he would shoot. "1..." He wasn't going to shoot. No, he wouldn't shoot her.

BANG! He shot, and she felt pain sprout on the outer side of her leg. It was impossible to ignore the feeling of her blood seeping out of her like she was a faucet. She was going to die. No, she WAS dying.

But then, right as she was beginning to give up on hope, she heard a voice. "Congratulations. You passed the test."

***

We are back again, and we send our love to dauntingjay12, who gives us awesome, creative comments on every single one of our chapters!

And, we also wanted to thank you for all the views, comments, and votes; every sweet thing gives us new inspiration! Seriously, #198 in Fantasy? Unreal!

QUESTIONS:
Why did they test early? How does the test REALLY work (behind the scenes)?

Not the most amazing chapter, but the next one will be! Stay tuned!

-Twinys