Part 9

"So were you depressed before your mom...?" Asks Malia. I nod.

"Yeah, I was. Since I was 15." I sigh. She puts a hand on my arm, sending a shiver down my spine.

"God. You never told me why your mom killed herself." She says softly.      I hate this story.

"It's, uh, well... I had a sister, she was 11- she'd actually be 12 now, God..." I think out loud, "wow, 12." I breathe.

"Stiles, I'm so sorry." Malia gasps, a hand over her mouth.

"She'd just turned 11 when she was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Then, three months later, she went. And that's when when my mom fell into depression." I tell her, my voice just a croak. I don't talk about Minnie much, not to anyone.

"Couple months after that, I found my mother's body in the bathtub." I say, making Malia gasp.

"I- I don't know what to say... No one deserves so much unhappiness in a life time, let alone a year." Her eyes are filled with sadness as she speaks. I smirk, though it doesn't reach my eyes.

"It's my dad who it really hit hard. I don't talk about my mom or Min with him anymore, to be honest I don't like showing him many emotions." I sigh, thinking about his alcoholism.

"Stiles, it's okay to be sad, too, you know."

"I know, I try not to though 'cause it's just, Minnie- my sister, something she once told me about being sad. We were sat in her hospital room while she was having chemo and she asked me if she was gonna die." I say, my voice shaky.

"I didn't say anything- I didn't know. I didn't wanna promise her a life she was never gonna get to live... When I didn't answer, she took my hand and told me it was okay if she was. And I was really confused, I said it would never be okay if she died, which made her laugh. I'll tell you now, if anyone could keep smiling through a bad situation, it was her, Malia. But anyway, she told me that it was okay because she wasn't scared. She was so brave, God, way braver than me- I was terrified. She told me to not be sad, if she dies, because she'll be looking over me and, as she said, probably laughing at my ugly crying face." I laugh, though there are tears pricking my eyes. Malia smiles, and also wipes away her own tear.

"She sounds lovely." Malia speaks softly.

"She was. God, I'd give anything to just hear her little laugh again. We were really close, I miss her more than anything. So, I try not to be sad about her, cos I know if she could see me she'd still be smiling." I sniff, and realise I've taken Malia's hand in mine. I pull away, suddenly self conscious.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"It's okay." She chuckles.

Suddenly Scott sees us and walks over.
"Hey, Stiles..." He begins, cheerfully but then sees my reddened eyes, "man, you okay?" Asks Scott, crouching down to look at me.

I chuckle. "I'm fine. Thanks." I look over to Malia, who smiles. "Uh, Scott, this is Malia. Malia, this is my best friend, Scott." I say, gesturing to one another.

"Hey." Smiles Scott.

"We met at the support group I go to." I say and Scott nods in understanding. "Sorry, I'm kind of a mess right now," I say, standing up and wiping my palms on my thighs. "I was just telling Malia about Min." I say. Scott nods, a slight frown swallowing his face.

"So, Stiles, what did Mr Harris say?" Asks Scott. I shrug and lazily roll my eyes.

"I told him I was at the cemetery visiting mom and that it's her birthday, then I walked out without waiting for a reply." I say.

"I can't believe it's already her birthday, God. You doing okay?" Asks Scott, and we both sit back down beside Malia.

"I guess... I mean, I don't know. Not really. I don't really wanna go home tonight either, but..." I sigh. Scott clenches his teeth and nervously looks toward Malia.

"Oh, it's okay, she knows about my dad." I say, looking to Malia, who nods sadly.

***
A/N so omg aw I gave Stiles a sister!! Tysm already have like 60 reads!! X