Chapter Twelve

Hey everyone! I'm so sorry for the wait! 

I hope you like it!

*****

There was a secret behind Dad's necklace, that wasn't for sure but there was a reason behind it. I didn't know that reason, but I was determined to find out.

The moon sure did resemble something, maybe it reminded him that sleep did him no good, therefore keeping him wide awake for his shifts. No, that's stupid; Dad caught me gawking at his necklace so he tucked it in his shirt, well that wasn't awkward. I grabbed the milk out of the fridge and opened the upper cabinet to get the cereal, too bad I couldn't reach it. I jumped up and down but I couldn't even touch it, a hand appeared next to mine grabbing the box, Dad handed me my target. I smiled at him, "thanks."

He didn't smile back nor did he reply, same old same old.

I poured the cereal in the bowl, and hastily added the milk over it, the last time I ate was yesterday at dinner. I skipped the chewing part and swallowed the cereal, coughing at times,  Dad turned to look at me.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly, I bet the sound of my coughs annoyed him; I chewed carefully this time before swallowing. I ate about two thirds of the box's content l before I called it quits, I bet Dad was surprised.

I washed my bowl and the kitchen table feeling bloated, Dad was still reading the newspaper.... "Do you have any shifts tonight?" I asked him, trying to make conversation, Dad shook his head while focused on the newspaper, I plopped down on the stool in front of him, I crossed my arms on the kitchen counter, "did you know I'm on the swim team?" I began to say, my father shook his head. 

"Well I am."

He was still focused on his newspaper.

"What does that necklace mean?" I started to ask.

Dad looked up at me slowly.

"What do you mean?"

I pointed at his chest, "that necklace you wear all the time." 

Dad sighed, "it's something important to me." He gave me a look that made me swallow my next question, but I asked it anyway.

"Does it have something to do with my mother?" 

Dad shook his head and continued to read.

"What was she like? My mother, I mean," I asked him.

Dad shrugged, "She's pretty, you remind me of her." 

I smiled, he replied. "I thought people said I look like you?"

"You do, but you remind me of her."

I froze for a moment. "Wait you said my mother is pretty, not my mother was pretty... Dad do you still see her?" 

Dad was the one who froze, "I don't think that's any of your business." He grabbed his newspaper and stormed to his room.

I sighed, you just had to ruin it. 

But what if he actually did see her? What if they were secretly together?

*

I woke up at eight in the morning, even though it was a Saturday. I skipped breakfast since my dinner would make up for at least three meals, I zipped up my leather jacket, pulled my black skirt a bit lower and pulled up my loose, black stockings and walked to ManiaZone, searching for Hunter. It was pretty empty; the janitor was there as well as a couple of kids. I approached one of them, "Hey, is Hunter here?" the kid shrugged. "I don't know," he said, and continued to play. 

"Someone called?" I turned to see Hunter, he clearly looked sleepless. His black hair was a mess, his eyelids were black all around. His clothes, a black hoodie and jeans, looked crumpled.

"I did," I replied confidently.

He stood firmly, "I was hoping I wouldn't see you."

"Neither was I but you know what they say...shit happens," I said with a wink.

He rolled his eyes, "What do you want, Henderson?" He reminded me of Coach with 'Henderson'.

"What did you say to Zach and Amanda?"

"Why does that concern you?"

"Because we were fine until you opened your rotten mouth. So Hunter," I didn't know his last name, "what did you tell them?"

He glared at me"I think you sure as hell know what I told them."

"Reeve?" 

"Yep." 

I sighed, "I want you to take that back," I ordered him.

He laughed, "or else?"

I didn't think of that.

I paused momentarily before I spoke, "or else I'll tell everyone what you did."

He laughed again, "and what exactly did I do?"

"I think you sure as hell know what you did." I replied with a raised eyebrow, mocking him.

He looked serious this time, "deal," he replied.

I smiled to myself, maybe I wasn't so dumb after all!