Chapter 2: 'A Cactus Named Bob'

Finally, I thought, collapsing into my squirrel bed, I've managed to escape from Harrold and the boys, good job I'm such a good actor and was able to fake a headache. Since I got in I haven't stopped hearing about Harold's new knitting circle member, it's none other than Reuben Hinchcliff. Reuben and I have been hanging out more since the barn dance and I hope that we continue to be friends this year. Writing in my darkly demanding damsel diary I contemplate my (new) relationship status. Part of me wants to scream about it from the rooftops but I know that there are some people that won't let us be (Dibdobs).

Anyway no time for all that, I have to get ready to meet the girls. I pull my hair into a ponytail and sneak past Harold out the door, he's still harping on about Reuben's new found talent. Two minutes later I reach the pub for my 'mates date'. Matilda runs out to meet me wearing a fake pie on her head, Ted must have won the annual pie eating competition again. As my eyes adjust to the gloom I spot by friends sitting in a corner booth and I run over to greet them.

"Lullah!" They all shout. I hug them, bursting with excitement. It finally feels like I am back and ready to take to the stage with my best friends to help me.

"We have so much to tell you," Jo yells in my ear "let's all sit down and have a chinwag, shall we?"

We all sit down at the battered table and Ted brings over our drinks.

"Ahhh, the thesbians are back I see, ready to cause more havoc with your strange antics I presume." He leaves chuckling to himself.

"So," Jo continues "I have a relationship update about me and Phil." We all lean closer at the mention of gossip "We got to number 7 on the snogging scale" she announces proudly. I'm shocked, I've only ever got to number 3 and Flossie used to hold the highest record at 5. Joe suddenly seems so much more grown up.

"What was it like?" Vaisy is asking whilst I'm having a minor panic attack.

"Bloody brilliant" and that was that. I can't have been the only one who wanted to know more but no one else said anything. Do they all know about it already? Despite Vaisy talking about her holiday in Vermont I heard nothing as the door swung shut on the Hinchcliff brothers. There they were Seth, Reuben and Cain. My eye met his and we shared a knowing look.

"Oh no it's Cain, why does he have to be here" my words betraying the butterflies that were lying in my stomach.

"Hello girls" Cain walks over subtly brushing his hand over my shoulder. Shivers run down my spine.

"Hey Flossie" Seth says giving her a forceful kiss.

"Get out of here Cain, we don't want any trouble" I say hiding the excited tremor of my voice that he inflicted whenever he was near.

"Lullah, want a kiss?" Cain retorted, taunting me with the thought of his lips on mine.

"Cain, you're embarrassing the poor girl" interrupts Reuben, leaping to my defense.

"Come on Reuben, it's only a joke."

"Why don't you go hang out with Beverly, after all you've put Lullah through you deserve each other" Jo spits angrily at Cain. Cain stops laughing abruptly and gives me an apologetic look. I shrug my shoulders in reply, I know it's all a joke. Bad boy attitude regained he shoots me a cocky grin and leaves the table winking over his shoulder at an angle only I could see.

"Don't worry Lullah, we'll protect you from the evil that is Cain" Vaisy says comfortingly. Little does she know that I don't need to be consoled. We continue to talk about Vaisy's summer even though I'm only half paying attention.