Chapter 16 *Edited*

The street outside was unnervingly quiet

The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as I glanced around, my gaze sweeping over the shopping centre. There was no sign of anyone — lycan, at least. It was like the fight den had never happened; there was no hum of energy in the air, no crackle of tension lingering like the aftermath of a thunderstorm.

Where the hell are Mia and Thomas?

A shiver of unease ran down the length of my spine.

Pain pulsed through my ribs, my arms, my back — and the effort it took to remain standing left me sore and panting — but I used the pain to ground me. To drown out the panic and anger and noise crowding my head. I tried to breathe as deeply as I could with a damaged lung, pushing back the urge to phase so I could focus on my surroundings.

Concentrate, Juliet.

I had to get back to the apartment. I had to find Theo, we had to... "You have twenty-four hours to leave London safely..."

Panic surged through me.

I pushed back. I couldn't afford to panic — especially not now, when my instincts were screaming that something was very, very wrong. Mia and Thomas should have been waiting out here. There should have been a car — something.

Just get home, Juliet. Get home and find Theo.

I glanced down with a grimace. The darkness hid most of the carnage on my clothes but I knew there was no way in hell I'd be able to flag down a taxi looking the way I did — which, given the stench of blood clinging to me, was going to be a problem. Catching my scent wouldn't be hard.

But what choice do I have?

My trepidation grew as I ventured across the road, my senses on high alert.

I was acutely aware of the fact that I couldn't defend myself in this condition as I hurried onto the path. I was protected from the packs, but that wouldn't stop another stray — or someone I'd provoked — from coming after me.

Or following me...

I made it a few more steps before I sensed movement behind me.

The street was so quiet that even the slightest scrape of feet against the concrete would have raised my internal alarm. I whipped around, my eyes landing instantly on the dark silhouette of a person emerging from another side-street, a few yards away. As they passed under a streetlight, I realised it was a man — someone I didn't recognise — and his eyes were locked on me.

When I caught sight of the gun in his hand, my heart started to race.

Oh, fuck!

I didn't think.