Chapter 15: Familiar Faces

"It's quiet," Astrid said to no one in particular. "Too quiet..."

Winter was on the verge and Berk was nonetheless expecting another raid. After sheltering as much livestock as they could inside for the night, the Guard beefed up extra security assigning several members and a few volunteers on night watch.

After Astrid and the other teens finished their dragon training a few months ago, she deiced to join the Berk Guard. Most believed she joined because she was an obvious choice for a warrior -- She scored the highest in dragon training and succeeded in killing her first dragon -- a Timberjack -- in front of the entire village. Others believed she joined because she wanted to achieve in the ranks of the village.

But her friends know why she joined: she was still searching for him.

Months ago, on the morning following the last large raid, Hiccup sneaked out of his dad/chief's house, and was heading towards Raven's Point. He was never seen again. Most assumed he ran away, but the only way off the island was, obliviously, by boat; he couldn't have gone far.

Since then, the village seemed a bit depressed by the lost of the chief's only son. Even Snotlout, who frequently picked on Hiccup arrogantly, was gravely strained by the unknown disappearance of his cousin. Since then, they're hadn't been as many raids as usual. It's as if the dragons have also mourn in Hiccup's absence, too....

Astrid kept her eyes on the horizon, scanning for any signs of an oncoming raid.

"It's not like she still looking for him-" Snotlout whispered, but was then socked hard in the arm by Ruffnut. "Owwwwww! What was that for?"

"Don't mention him when she's around," replied Ruff. "She just got over it months ago. Do you want her to cringe into a ball for the next few weeks?"

"Fine..." Snotlout answered rubbing his arm. 

There wasn't a sound to be heard. It was so silent that one could hear a pin drop. Out in the pasture one lone yak and sheep were grazing near the barn. There was a nice carrot out in the open that look like it survived the first signs of winter. As it was being approached by the sheep, a large dark silhouette swooped in from the sky, snatching the yak. The sheep hardly noticed, as it was caught in the healthy beauty of the carrot...

SNATCH!!!

"What the-" Sven noticed, then panicked and ran through the streets. "DRAGONS!!!"

As soon as Astrid heard him, she whistled to the other guards on watch. She slid down her post and landed on the ground, axe in hand. In a span of seconds, all hell broke loose...

A row of empty buildings and houses burst into flames as soon as they were evacuated. Most of the Vikings and children were cornered into the mead hall by several dragons -- by order of their raid leaders.

"Destroy their weapons," the Night Fury ordered his squadron, then shot a catapult to splinters. "but don't harm them unless necessary!"

Down at the docks, the fishermen weren't so terrified as they were surprised. The attacking dragons were scavenging the ships and dock houses for fishing nets rather than the barrels of fish.

"Get every net you can find!" the female Night Fury said over the ensuing chaos. Her mate flew in and landed next to her on the docks just as he had finished the last of the catapults and torches.

"How are we doing so far?"

"We're right as we planned. Just a few more minutes and a couple more nets should do."