Chapter 2

Searching for jobs in Daccron wasn't as easy as Yaser Malik had thought it would be. For starters, he learnt the employers in any well-paying job preferred a poor free man over an ex-slave. And they made sure to make the requirements of their job very much impossible for the dark skinned people. Making them only fit for the lower class jobs such as working in fields, factories and mines. Most of which were already taken, leaving only mines and shops available for the late comers like himself.

Yaser was a fit man, unlike most slaves who suffered from starvation most of their lives, his owner was kind enough to feed him and his family well and Yaser was determined to treat his family the same.

That's why he applied to work in the mine field. Although he heard how tough the conditions there were and how poorly the payment was, he was determined to land himself any kind of job on the first week they settled in.

The money he had would soon run out and the rent of the house he was provided with was due starting next month. Not to mention the pile of bills he was responsible of paying at the end of this month. His salary would barely cover those obligations and he still had Safaa's education fees to worry about along with bringing food on the table.

To say that Yaser was stressed was an underestimation to his state. He was scared to the bones. He had taken a risk by moving his whole family here with no real plan on hands. They were safe in the house of his old merciful master but now, the money he earns from the mine would either pay the bills or put food on the table. That wasn't the type of life Yaser had planned for his family. That wasn't the dream he risked his family's safety for.

The sheikh who Yaser had contacted before making the move assured him that the life quality here was much better, much more dignifying, much more respectful. Yes, there was many opportunities here but what good are they if he couldn't land a decent paying job.

"You just have to have faith, Yaser. I know it's tough now but with time things will get better." The sheikh said with a kind smile trying to take away the man's worries.

"I'm trying, but how can I provide for my family when I barely even get paid?" Yaser sighed feeling the world ganging up on him. On one hand he had Safaa registering in school that required minimum fees. He had house rent, electricity and water bills due after just two weeks. And on the other hand he still needed to feed five mouths everyday not to mention buy some covers and clothes for the winter. It was said to be very cold in this town.

"I understand being a mine worker isn't the best. But unfortunately all decent paying jobs like being a shop keeper in Graffield or being a maintenance worker was taken." The sheikh said with a heavy heart knowing how hard it was for all the new comers. The city was designed to take in 200 families. Only about 20 of them got some decent working jobs inside Graffield itself. Any late comer had to work in the mines or fields as the people of Daccron resisted having their old slaves working in their jobs.

Yaser sighed deeply, he thought the sheikh would have a solution for his problem but it seemed like there was none.

"I have a solution. It may not be the best, but it pays well." The Sheikh said warily of how Yaser would react knowing that his proposition was not part of the promise all the new comers had received.

"If it keeps my family from starving, I'll accept it." Yaser replied without a second thought. He knew whatever the solution was, it was better than letting his family down.

"I know a couple of people who require butlers to work for them. It's not the best of jobs but it pays at least double what a mine worker gets." The sheikh knew what he was proposing wasn't reasonable. Most of the new comers wanted to flee their masters and the horrible treatment they receive, and being a butler only meant you get paid to be a slave again. But that was the only solution he had for the time being.