Back to School

Link held her hand as they walked to school. This wasn't because they were dating now. No, this was because Zelda's hands were shaking and she needed the support.

"The worst will be over as soon as it starts," he said, trying to sound confident for her.

Zelda nodded slowly. It'll be fine. You don't care what they say or think. You've got a real friend now. You've got Link, she thought, trying to convince herself about it. With a squeeze of Link's hand, she let out the breath that she'd forgotten she was holding. "I'll be fine if you stick with me."

"I won't leave your side."

They had come a little bit early to school so that Zelda could enter the classroom without anyone being in there already. She couldn't bear to have half the class staring her down as they walked to their seats.

She joined Link where he usually sat at the back of the classroom.

Slowly students started to enter the room, usually with the blank stare that meant they wished they were still asleep.

Then Zelda's hand tightened around Link's; Lana had just entered the room with three girls in tow. Then she scanned the room, obviously searching for her.

It took everything in Zelda not to hide underneath the desk, or something of the sort, in order to escape Lana's murder gaze when it finally landed on her.

Her pink-blue eyes, which Zelda had always considered kind and youthful, now burned with a barely concealed anger.

"She must have been bottling that up for days," Zelda murmured.

Link smirked slightly. "And her true colors show at last."

"Well, dating someone like Dark does tend to..." she stopped. Would talking about his half brother like that offend him?

"...screw someone up?" Link finished with a nod and a shrug. "It's true so I won't deny that. He's my brother, and I want to help him... but he doesn't want it."

By that point in their conversation Lana had arrived. She hopped up to sit on Link's desk and faced Zelda with a fake smile.

"Zelda, dear, would you mind telling me just what happened Saturday night?"

Link squeezed her hand under the table, giving his support in any way he could.

"Of course, Lana." Zelda swallowed. "Link and I came to the party because you invited us. Then after a little while, we decided to leave. When we tried to exit through the front door, Dark and you were blocking it. I asked him to move, he didn't. He insulted Link, and I..." She hesitated. "I corrected his mistake."

Lana's lip twitched. "Ah yes, so that was what happened. I seem to recall something a little different. Like you throwing a punch in a fight you didn't belong in. I know why Dark and Link hate each other. Dark told me."

Zelda snorted. "And you think that Dark told you the truth? That he told you everything? Guys like him don't tell the whole truth. If any of it."

The fake kindness in Lana's eyes vanished as her hand raised.

It couldn't descend, though; Link stood up and grabbed her wrist. "Enough," he growled. "Class is starting."

Lana ripped her hand out of his grasp and jumped off the table. "Good timing," she spat and then stalked off to her seat.

-

With school over, Zelda's fears turned out to be groundless. Nothing happened; nothing drastic anyways.

At lunch, Zelda sat with Link and the other 'unpopular' kids. They were actually really kind. Well, a few of them were grouchy, not liking that she used to be popular, but, for the most part, they were nice to her.

Among those at the table were: a girl named Fi with pretty crystal earrings, a girl wearing a dress with bugs on it, her name was Agitha. 

A girl with grayish skin and red hair who was introduced as Midna- she didn't really seem too talkative, and was one of the afore mentioned grouchy kids. And a kid named Ravio, who was more than a little strange with his dyed purple hair and his bunny hoodie. He looked a lot like Link, and she was told he had transferred from Lorule High that year.

She felt for once... as if she'd made real friends.