Feelings?

"I just got a text from Vince!" Max says.

"What does it say?" I ask apprehensively. Today is the fourth day of the tournament. This will decide if we get to the quarter-finals or not.

Max grins. "We're in."

I cheer, then suddenly go quiet. What if someone saw?

"Everything okay?"Max asks me.

"Y-yeah..."

"Okay." He smiles and pats my arm.

My heart skips a beat. I've always been fond of Max, but something's different now.

* * * *

As the tournament progresses, we get regular updates from James and Vince, and the teachers tell us what they've heard as well.

Unfortunately, our team doesn't make it to the finals, but we're in the run for third place.

The night before the match, I decide to call James.

"Good luck," I tell him.

"Thanks," he says nervously. "You know...I think if we win this match, I'll ask that girl out. You know, the one from the dance."

I giggle. "Good luck with that too. I'm not the best person to give advice on relationships, but you can always ask me if you need anything."

"You're the best," he says. "Speaking of which...Vince is kinda thinking of trying things again with Kayla..."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, even I'm not convinced. She broke up with him in a fit of anger...but he wants to try again. D-don't tell her, okay?" He adds anxiously.

"Sure!"

"Also..." his voice takes a more serious tone, "what about you and Max?"

I blush. I'd rather not talk about this...

"Um...we're n-not d-dating...b-b-but we've been spending a l-lot of time t-together...and I think now I like him too..."

Oh, God, I hate this! Can there be anything more embarassing than liking one of your brother's best friends and having to talk to your brother about the situation?

"...b-but I also feel t-that I'm not really r-ready for a relationship yet. I-I'm scared, James," I sob. "I d-don't know what to do. I'm r-really happy around him, around you, around my friends...but I'm scared t-that I'll lose this happiness again..."

I continue crying as I realize that I can't handle where I am right now.

"Lauren...Lauren, listen to me," James says. "I'm coming home in two days. When I get back, we'll talk about this...as long as I remember to take out the trash that day. Mom will have my head if I don't, basketball match or not."

I laugh through my tears.

"Listen...I know I haven't been the greatest of brothers, especially after the accident. But after I saw you run out that day after the match all those months ago, I realized just how selfish I'd been. I'm sorry."

"T-that's okay," I sniff.

"Just rest, okay?"

I take his advice. When he returns home on Sunday morning, we spend the whole day together, brother and sister. And after that whole day, I come to a decision. I tell Mom and Dad what I want - no, what I need. It'll be painful, I know, but I have to do this.

* * * *

My decision is final.

I am leaving.

I'll be staying with my aunt a few towns away. I'll spend my last year of school in the high school over there, and go to college near there as well.

Some people might call it runing away, but I say it's something else. All I need is a fresh start.

* * * *

The months pass by. Our team won the third place in the nationals, and we're all so proud.

Kayla and Vince kinda got back together. There's still a little nervousness in their relationship, though.

Julia is planning to recruit more girls to the basketball team. The girl's team is getting ready for all possible matches next year: Jules is working them to the bone. Not that they mind; they're as excited as she is.

James finally asked that girl out. I know her: she's in a lot of my classes. I hope he'll be happy with her.

Daisy walks around these days with a sour look on her face. She glares at me every time we see each other, but doesn't say anything.

I haven't seen Cal at all since the night of the dance. Not that I'm complaining; he's probably hiding somewhere in the back hallways.

* * * *

As the days pass, the graduation ceremony happens. It's a warm, sunny day in June. Just a few days before I leave.

The house is empty. Mom and Dad have some work to do; James is with his friends. I look at my almost-full suitcases.

There it lies: the folder with all the notes. The last is the one Max gave me at the dance.

I smile, knowing that his support got me through some nasty times. Now, it's time for me to support myself.

Nooooo...Lauren, don't leaveee!!

I know I wrote this, but I still want to cry. My creation is leaving her loved ones *cries some more*

Anyhow, let me know what you think!

Love y'all!!