Going Away

The day before I leave, my family and I spend the entire day together. We have a picnic in the backyard, watch a movie, and bake cookies together.

"Lauren," Dad says, "I'll miss you, but I understand this is for the best. I guess you just need a breath of fresh air."

Mom is equally understanding, but still upset. "Both my kids are growing wings," she says, tears in her eyes. "I'll miss you two, but I'm so, so proud that you're doing this."

That evening, Julia and Kayla take me out for dinner. They give me a farewell gift: a photo album.

"This is to make sure you don't forget us," Kayla says.

"Yeah," Jules agrees, barely holding back her own tears. "Don't go get a new best friend, okay?"

"I won't," I promise her. "I'm sorry that I have to leave you guys on such short notice...but I need this."

"We understand," Kayla says gently. "I'll keep an eye on Jules for you." She smiles.

And then the three of us are crying and holding each other, because somewhere in there, we know just how close we've become without even realizing it.

* * * *

The next morning, I wake up before the sunrise.

I sit just outside my front door as the sun comes up. The weather is amazing.

There's a sudden movement from the next lane. Max runs into my lane, panting as he stops. I stand up, and he pulls me into a bone-crushing hug. "I'm so sorry," he says. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you. All the pain from the past years was too much for you; I should have done more about it."

"It's not your fault," I tell him softly. "You're the reason I held on for so long, you know. Thank you," I sigh. "And this is for the best. I'll be back during vacations, so we can meet."

He pulls away, and we sit down under the tree. "I still remember coming here this time every morning to leave you a note," he tells me.

"Well, now you can send me letters."

"That's a good idea," he says. We sit in silence before he continues.
"I was going to ask you out, you know. But I realized you weren't ready for that. And when I heard you were leaving, I understood that you definitely weren't ready."

I avoid looking at him. How do I tell him?

This is going to be really difficult.

"W-well," I begin nervously, "y-you can always ask me out next year...I'll probably be ready by then..."

I go pink and bury my face in my hands.

"You really mean it?" I hear a trace of hope and excitement in his voice.

"Y-yeah...especially since I think I-I-I like y-you too."

There, I said it!

My heart's beating so fast I think it's going to explode.

"L-Lauren...look up," I hear Max say.

When I do, he gives me another flower. "This isn't real," he says shyly, passing the snowdrop to me,"but I'd like you to keep this to remember that I'll wait for you."

The plastic snowdrop glimmers in the early morning light.

"I'll wait for you too," I say softly.

I sit there as Max slowly leans in and gives me a soft kiss on the lips. My first reaction is to close my eyes and soak it in. I know I should be alarmed, but for some reason, I'm cool as a cucumber.

It's my first kiss.

He pulls away, and I open my eyes. I giggle at what I see. "You're so cute when you're embarrassed," I tell him, and give him a hug.

He hugs me back, and we sit there until it's time for my secret admirer to say goodbye.

No, it's not the end! There will be one last chapter!

I'm so corny, I was giggling like a weirdo while writing about the kiss and Lauren's confession. The fake snowdrop was a totally random idea though.

Credits to no_rest_for_west for the lovely cover.

Hope you like the chapter!