Chapter 02

"Alpha we're here." I opened my eyes painfully slow and blinked a couple of times. Zander was looking at me from the rear view mirror and I nodded gratefully at him. 

I sat up straight on the seat and looked out the window only to see the same type of environment that I was looking at the past couple of hours before I decided to get some rest. Just as I was about to look away, a blur caught my attention. I knew then that we were approaching Fire Stone pack and unfortunately I wasn't excited. 

In the distance, I saw the outlines of two people standing, waiting for us to approach them. The nearer we came, the easier it was for me to make out what they looked like. They were both bulky, almost as if they were on steroids, and they were without a doubt, good looking. Something that confused me was that Derek wasn't there with them. 

We came to a stop in front of them, and one of them came over to Zander's window, tapping on it so that he would roll down the window. 

Zander rolled it down and that same man popped his head into the car and rested his arms where the window was once at.

"What's your business here?" The man asked, his faced void of any emotion. The other guy with him was alert and looking to see if we would be a threat to his pack. Those characteristics are something that make a pack strong. Too bad Derek only had two men patrolling where we were at. I wouldn't be surprised if a group of rogues entered the pack unnoticed. 

"We have a meeting with your Alpha."

The guy raised his brows, but still no emotion. He didn't seem convinced about Zander's answer and that was honestly starting to frustrate me.

I unbuckled myself and opened the door to the car, jumping out in the process. The guys' eyes widened as they took in my appearance. It was obvious they had no idea who I was but I was almost certain they would know once they heard my name. 

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and glared at them. "Alpha Bancroft. If you could let us through that would be great."

The second they heard my name, their eyes widened. Their once cold and emotionless faces were replaced with respect and admiration. It wasn't a daily occurrence for a small and almost extinct pack to all of the sudden emerge as one of the strongest packs in the nation and that made both my wolf and I proud of all that we've accomplished.

"Welcome to Fire Stone." The guy said, holding his hand out for me to shake, "I'm Tresean, the Beta."

There was so many things I wanted to say at this moment. My first instinct was to tell the Beta to stop with the pleasantries and lead me to their Alpha. I bit my tongue to keep myself from being rude and took his hand, shaking it firmly. A sign of strength.

"We won't keep you from your meeting. Our Alpha is waiting for you." He let go of my hand and stepped away.

I nodded gratefully. Once I was back inside the car and all buckled up, we were on our way to Alpha Derek's pack house where he would be awaiting my arrival.

~~~

Restless. That's how I felt as we continued our drive to the pack house. My gut was telling me that something was going to happen and that I should be prepared but I forced myself to push that thought all the way to the back of my mind. The only thing that I should even be worrying about is the meeting with Derek and I was going to keep it that way.

My plan was to go in there, skip the pleasantries and get down to business. There was no time to waste seeing as I needed to return to my pack as soon as I could. If he straight out rejected my proposal to form an alliance, I wouldn't waste my time begging for him to help me out. No, instead I would just gather my crew and leave without further stay.

As we neared the Fire Stone pack house, that feeling of restlessness grew stronger, and I increasingly became frustrated. We pulled up to the front of the mansion, which wasn't as massive as the one we had back home. It was very simple and looked like a regular home just bigger and two-story.

Standing at the top of the stairs, there was a man and a woman who were holding each other's hands and smiling down at us. The man, who I knew was Derek, was tall with short, light brown hair and a beard. His body was muscular and overall he had this intimidating vibe radiating off of him. Good thing I was anything but intimidated.

The woman on the other hand was petite compared to Derek. She had dark, strawberry blonde hair with bright green eyes and an innocent smile. This must be his mate. 

Mates. No matter how cute and happy they looked together, they didn't manage to make me feel upset and lonely because of my lack of a mate. Definitely not. If anything, I didn't want a mate because I knew I wouldn't have the time in the world to focus on that person. 

Pack over everything and anything, even a mate.

Wanting to get the meeting over with, I quickly got out of the car without waiting for Zander to open the door for me. I smoothed out my clothes and when I looked up, Derek and his mate were standing directly in front of me. 

"Alpha Bancroft, welcome to Fire Stone pack." Derek held out his hand for me to shake. "I hope the drive here was safe."

I shook his hand and gave him a small smile. "Yes it was...pleasant."

"Well, that's great." He let go of my hand and returned it to his side. "This is my mate, Lindsey."

Forcing a smile at her, I took her extended hand and shook it, dropping it quickly. "It's nice to meet you."

She had a huge smile on her face that made me cringe. "It's nice to meet you, too! I hope your stay here is cozy."

I nodded and fixed my attention back on Derek. "When can we start discussing the alliance?"

"Right now if you'd like. Follow me." He leaned his head down towards Lindsey's ear and whispered something to her that I couldn't quite hear despite my hearing abilities. She kissed him and waved at me before disappearing into the house, leaving Derek with Zander and I.

He lead us into the house and the further we went, the feeling of restlessness became stronger. I tried ignoring it, I really did but it was as if my wolf was trying to communicate something with me. 

As soon as we entered what appeared to be the living room, I let out a growl because one, I couldn't take this feeling any longer, and two, something smelled really good.

Zander was immediately in front of me with concern written all over his face. "Something wrong Alpha?"

Before I could answer, a deep manly voice echoed throughout the room. "You're an Alpha?"

My head snapped towards the source of the voice and as soon as I looked at him, I regretted ever coming down to Fire Stone.

The one person I couldn't give all my attention to was standing across the room and all I wanted at this moment was to run out and never look back.

*Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed the chapter (: