Scamming the Prince: Chapter 4

Whenever I was going to get in trouble my head got abnormally hot inside and my knees got so wobbly I'd have to hold something just to stand up. This is what was happening as the Prince approached me. I just stole money from royalty. I'd probably spend my life in prison and I could already imagine the torture.

They'd never let me out the cold, dark confinement and when it'd be time to feed me they'd put the food far from my grasp that I'd have to reach for it and I'd die in that position. Dad would be too ashamed to visit me and Sophie would soon forget my existence. I held my breath and waited to have people drag me out. Wait--why isn't the Prince shouting at me? He just walked over to the chair, put on his coat, and gave me an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly, but I'm afraid I'm needed. Best of wishes to you and Sophie," he said, stopping briefly to acknowledge me before resuming his walk out the room.

As soon as he was gone I collapsed on the chair. I didn't know whether to cry or laugh, I stole money from the Prince--son of the King---and didn't get caught! I wasn't going to jail, and I wasn't going to be homeless! At that moment Sophie decided to wake up. She sat up and looked at the room in confusion though she's only been seeing this for the first time.

Her face rid of some fear when she spotted me. "Melanie? Where am I?" she said this so faintly I could hardly hear her. 

"We're at the hospital. You had an accident, Sophie." I said softly as I picked up the empty plastic cup next to her and went to fill it up with water again.

Sophie looked around with that same puzzled book from before. Her eyes landed on the tube connected to her arm and she frowned, "Where's Dad?" she asked again, her eyes moved from the thin tube over to me. Her small mouth was turned down and her eyebrows were furrowed together.

"Er...he'll be here soon." I walked over with the glass of water and handed it to her. Sophie took the water from me and I looked eagerly at the clock. It was still 8, dad had four hours and I hoped he'd come soon. I was getting antsy and the fact I was a thief didn't help. The nurse from earlier opened the door loudly and walked over to my little sister.. 

After glancing quickly at her clipboards and checking her pulse--I don't know why since I doubt she'd let us stay even if she found something abnormal. She hadn't looked at either of us once. "Where's your father?" she asked me bluntly, finally looking up and targeting her eyes toward mine.

"I don't know," I spotted her face expression and hastily added, "He'll be here though! I know he will, he always keeps his word."

"I'm sure." she said smiling with a victorious gleam in her eye. She gave us another warning look, made sure I was still looking at her as she looked at the clock, and stalked out the room.

I glared at her from behind. I couldn't say I wasn't used to this, when someone is in deep, deep financial trouble like my family is, people start looking at you differently, like you're a walking, talking charity. Others look at you like you're some bug, and you've been crawling around in their food.

I picked up my messenger bag and checked inside to make sure this wasn't a dream. There it was, the full amount of rent money in my hand. All I had to do was hand it to the landlord tomorrow and the rent problem was done.

I heard the door open again and I scrambled to put my bag back. "Melanie? Sophie?" I heard my dad's voice say. My face lit up. I could show my father the money now! I reached for my bag again as he went over to Sophie and lifted her up.

"Dad, I have news about the rent. I--" I began to say, my voice was dripping with enthusiasm.

"I don't think it's the best time for rent now. I've been having an," his face strained, "eventful day."