Scamming the Prince: Chapter 7

The ride back was silent. Mr. Kelly and Abigail did nothing but exchange a few words once in a while and more likely than not they were talking about directions to get home. Father was staring to the side to see the views, and Sophie was snoring lightly and unevenly next to him. I was also looking out the the side to watch the trees and road pass by us.

"Bill, remember to turn left after the city gates," Abigail said softly, breaking the heavy silence. Mr. Kelly's head bobbed up and down and the silence resumed. 

I couldn't help but look at the corner of my eye to see my father's expression. His eyes were cold and disapproving and his jaw was tight. He'd been like that since the guard that escorted me out told him what I'd been doing in the palace. Afterwards, we got in the wagon and father didn't utter a word.

"Here you are, Ronald," Mr. Kelly said as he pulled in the reigns to stop the horses from continuing their journey.

"Thank you," he replied as he turned around to carry my sister. I hopped off from my side just as father did. 

"Take care Melanie," Mr. Kelly said from the front. Abigail turned to give me a reassuring smile. I returned it and climbed out the car. As soon as I closed the door the car drove off. Dad walked up the stairs and began fumbling with the key before finally opening the door and setting Sophie on the couch.

He walked over to an empty box, took out a mug and walked over to the kitchen. As he rinsed the cup he asked, "When were you going to tell me you paid the rent?" 

My blood ran cold and all color drained from my face. I stared at him, frozen. "After the ceremony Bill came over to me and thanked me for the rent money. I had no idea what he was talking about, he told me you gave the money to his wife," he paused and drained cold coffee from the fridge into his mug, "Where'd you find the money?"

"I was planning on telling you when you came to the hospital but you were stressed then---I saved up the money," my words were falling out in jumbles, my mind didn't register anything.

"You saved it up . . ." he stared at me skeptically, "Since when were you saving up money?"

"I have for a while, it was originally for my own personal benefit. I decided to spend it on the house instead," I said. He stared at me for a long time before finally putting his cup down and leaning against the counter, 

"Alright, I find that hard to believe but we'll get back to that later. What I want to know is what possessed you to break into the castle? I'm sure your mother and I raised you better."

"I couldn't find the bathroom--"

"So it didn't cross your mind to . . . I don't know, ask for help? Look around some more?"

"At the moment, no."

He wasn't looking at me anymore. I hung my head down and walked quietly out the room. Stupid King Nicholas and his guards--why did they have to make a scene? I wouldn't have run away if I hadn't seen a knife in Caleb's hands.

I walked away to my room and stared at the wall. To say I was surprised was an understatement; I'd been expecting the anger about the castle break-in, but not the rent. I thought he'd be pleased I paid the rent and he didn't have to pay a dime but I'd been wrong, it only angered him more and I didn't know why. I took a deep breath and walked over to the window.

Immediately, I spotted a couple laughing while holding hands.She was wearing an lavish, expensive-looking dress and he was wearing a stylish dress suit. They must have been vistors because no one dressed like that where I lived I felt a pang of jealously for them, they probably didn't have a care in the world. They'd go home to their mansion and have a chat whilst sitting at the dining table. They didn't have to steal money to get by on bills.