Chapter 4 | Mike P.O.V

They're coming!!" Troy cried from where he was rocking on the floor.

"No they're not" Winter said dryly as she studied me. "Why are the S.I.S. after you?" She asked me. Win seems to think I don't know anything yet she keeps asking me these questions.

"I... Uh..." I stammered.

"Whatever, I'll ask you later, we should get moving, it's dark on the surface already." Winter suggested, although, with her, it's more of an order than a suggestion. "I know a place we can go to sleep." She paused. "But it's not generally a nice place. If anything bad happens, I'll signal you like this." She brushed her shoulder lightly, her hair flipping in the process. It was kinda cute, but I didn't make comment on that. "You'll be the distraction, I'll do the fighting. Got it?"

I nodded. "Okay, but are we bringing, uh, that guy?" I gestured towards Troy, who crawled over to my feet and started begging me to take him with us. Winter gave me an evil smile, as if to say "he's your problem".

Troys eyes were wide. He looked back to the dead animal. "Troy doesn't want to be left alone..." His expression darkened, going from zero to sixty in a split second. "Never again will Troy underestimate their power. Not after they took Troys family."

There wasn't much we could say to follow that up.

"Cool," Winter said, the message 'okay, screwball' clearly painted in her facial expression. "Let's just go."

I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of babysitting Troy. But then again, I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of crossing Winter either.

I followed Win, Troy in tow. Maybe if I was lucky, he'd get mauled by some radiation mutated animal.

I realized that depended on my luck.

Maybe not.