Becoming Closer

Tobias's Pov

Everyone likes to show up early to talk to each other since the only other time we get to do that is lunch. As I'm walking toward everyone, I decide that this bullying Tris situation won't stop unless I do something about it,
so I swerve the other way. Continuing to walk away from the group, Zeke catches my attention,

"Hey Four! Going to join us?" Zeke may be my best friend and all, but until he gets his act together I'm not going to try and act like everything is ok.

"No, I have school work to catch up on," completely lying.

While walking, I see Tris in the gym hitting a volleyball back and forth against a wall. She doesn't notice me walk in, so when I say something it startles her,

"Need a buddy to play with?" I ask.

She doesn't reply but tosses the ball at me which I set. She immediately spikes
the ball down at me so fast that I didn't have time to react. "Never said I was going easy," she says smirking.

"Game on." I reply humorously.

After thirty minutes of bump set spiking, she tells me that I'm not bad.

"I'm not bad? I bet I could beat you in a game. Anyway, where'd you learn how to play like that?"

"Caleb and I love to play just for fun or whenever we have something we want to get off our shoulders. How about this. Find a partner to play with and when Caleb comes back during break I guarantee we'll beat you."

"Feeling cocky, Tris? What if I beat you?" I say smirking

"Are you turning this into a bet Tobias?"

"You know it. If I win we have to play 20 questions. If you win we--"

"When I win, you owe me a week of coffee."

"Don't be so cocky yet Tris, we have a bet I'm going to win," I say holding my hand out.

"Who's being cocky now?" She says laughing as she shakes my hand.

"You should laugh more, I like seeing you happy," I say seriously.

Tris replies in the same tone, "You know what I've been through Tobias, it's not easy for me to be happy." She walks out the gym, leaving me in my own thoughts.

As soon as fourth period comes by Christina asks me where I went, knowing that I lied this morning.

"I don't like hanging around a bunch of bullies, so I went inside the gym."

She gives me a glance, and nothing else. "I know you like Will, Christina, but I also know that Will doesn't bully Tris either. If you really cared about him, then you would stop thinking that you're above everyone else." With the reaction she gives me, I can already tell that I've hit a soft spot.

"I'm sorry..." Christina says softly.

"Very funny. You think that I'm the one that you need to be apologizing to? Why don't you start with the person that you've been making her life a living hell. Oh, and tell Zeke, Shauna, and Lynn to join the guilty bus too, because I'm damn sure that's how you should be feeling." I say, walking away.

During lunch I see Tris eating alone, reading a book. When I go to sit across from her, I can tell she didn't notice me by the way she continues reading.

"Tris."

Her head snaps up, and her eyes soften. "Are you sure you want to sit here, people will probably start making fun of you too,"