05 | Of Apples and Cherries

SOMETIMES HE LOVES to lark about. 

"Hey Ashley. So you really did pass out, huh?" Kayla laughed with an evil glint in her eye, her teeth caving into a ripe green apple.

We were sat underneath the colossal cherry blossom tree in our school, right away from the football field where boys kicked a deflated ball with their muddy shoes, and away from the neatly trimmed grass where girls sat in flocks making daisy chains and chatting shit about their friends behind their backs. I really do love our school.

"Kayla, I actually hate you: you left me to run a marathon for London. You're a fucking wanker, you know," I told her, before taking a long gulp of my Lucozade.

"Uhm," Kayla started, feigning confusion as her fingers almost flew across the keyboard of her phone with one hand, a half eaten apple in the other. "How can I be a wanker when I don't have a dick?"

"You never know. But that's beside the point. I can't believe you-"

"And if it isn't for the bitch and the bisexual."

I didn't have to even look up to know that Levi had appeared from the football field. Zara and Joseph followed in tow, holding hands and whispering all sorts of sweet nothings into each other's ears. I rolled my eyes at their typical lovey-dovey behaviour. I'm not even going to lie - I was jealous of their relationship. Whereas Zara was the typical shy nerd, who looked like a pretty little princess with cute hipster bangles up her wrist, and a delicate flower crown woven into her hair, Joseph was the absolute opposite, a quite hench, tall man-boy with a buzz cut, an arrogant smile and a loud personality. And although they clashed in all the ways possible, that's all the more reason they were so perfect for each other.

Fuck. I rubbed the sides of my forehead with my fingertips, as if easing a dull pain. I desperately need a boyfriend.

I smelt him before I saw him. Without giving me a chance to protest, Levi plopped himself beside me on the grass, the strong scent of sweat intoxicating me. He had unbuttoned the top buttons of his white shirt, so that his lean chest was exposed, the faintest outline of abdominal muscles forming - which, I had to admit, was quite an adequate sight. Not that I would tell him this, of course.

"Ash baby." The words slurred out of his mouth. This tone of voice suddenly made me suspicious.

"Wha- Levi, for fuck's sake," I whined, protesting as he attempted to wrap his arm around my shoulders in a position that forced my nose to meet his dripping armpit. "You smell like shit."

He laughed on, saying something along the lines of, "I know you love it, babes," as he grabbed the back of my head, forcing my head onto him with so much force that I fully landed on his chest, between his legs. Still, I ignored our close proximity and fought him, fists pounding on his chest. At one point, when I had almost released myself from his predator-like clutch, I felt it.

Firm but slender hands.

The stinging slap on my butt.

And then the squeeze.

The fucking squeeze.

Letting out an animated yelp, I instantly detached myself from him and rolled over on the pink-petaled grass, covering my eyes with my arm in embarrassment. From above I heard soft giggles coming from Zara, and the booming laughter emitted from Joseph literally vibrated on the ground beneath me. When I looked back up, Joseph had slung his arm over Levi's shoulder, not before slapping him on the back as some sort of congratulation (which I don't think was appreciated, given by Levi's strangled cough from the impact).

"You hit it right on the nail. Slapped that ass like there was no tomorrow." Joseph belted out, a thunderous chuckle leaving his lips, and Levi followed tow in the laughter.

"And did you see the way it vibrated?" Levi asked incredulously, winking at me when I half hid my rosy face behind my fingers. This is honestly so mortifying.

"Joe!" Zara exclaimed, her face beetroot red in embarrassment, but undoubtedly a hint of anger and jealousy was present on her face. Joe, realising his mistake, cooed and crawled over to her, kissing her lips briefly on the lips before whispering something in her ear. Judging by her blazing red face, and the way they both looked down at her larger than average D cup boobs (for someone as short as her), we could pretty much tell the direction of Joseph's comment.

"God, you guys make me sick," Kayla spat out with a scowl after moments of simultaneously typing away at her phone and silently observing the four of us, an almost animal like grunt emitting from her mouth as she bit into her apple. She rolled her eyes at us, looking completely fed up for no absolute reason, and continued typing on her phone.

We just laughed at her antics; typical Kayla. Never the one to stick by in an atmosphere of discomfort (in her case anyway), she stood up abruptly after presumably sending a text to God knows who. "If you guys want to go ahead and make out, fine then. But don't involve me in your shenanigans. In fact, have a foursome if you must. Don't think you thirsty hoes would mind."

She used her long fake-nailed fingers to fluff up her hair as she scrolled through her phone one last time, and she turned around, heading towards the school building without looking back once.

"Love you too, Kayla." I yelled at her, smiling as she responded with a middle finger.

Restless, and bored, I lay down on the velvety pink sheets of cherry blossom petals that scattered on the pale green grass.

"I swear to God Levi, never fucking touch me again."

He slightly smirked and advanced on me, laying on the grass alongside me with his elbows propping him up. His eyes didn't leave mine as he kept some kind of silent promise. Levi would do this a lot. His eyes would try to tell me something, but not a peep of a word would leave his lips. His emotions were unreadable, his face almost blank, if you didn't count the slight raised in the corner of his mouth.

"Or what?" He finally whispered, the drop of his tense face making it appear as if he were relieved with his answer. I slightly frowned at this but decided to brush it away.

With a grin, I responded airily, "I'll chop up your balls and serve it to you as dick soup, of course."

He didn't say anything but simply smiled, closing his eyes and laying back down on the cherry blossoms. I looked down at him, a feeling of warm contentment filling my chest, and brushed waves of dark brown hair off his face.

Sometimes, he was an unsolvable mystery; the missing piece of a jigsaw puzzle.