Chapter 9

I was the last person to leave work today. And that was all Christian's fault. Not only did I have to read those files (I got to year 2011 by the end of the day) but he got his revenge by telling everyone to feel free to give any reports or files to me to write or to read if they didn't feel like doing it themselves. And that's exactly what everyone did. I mean, who wouldn't? Getting paid when you weren't even doing your own work? Now that's a sweet deal.

It was 1 in the morning by the time I finished all of their work. I quickly switched off the lamp and grabbed my tote bag. I hurried over to the elevators and pressed the button impatiently. The darkness of the office was creeping me out. I hate the dark. The only light that was still on was the one above the elevators. Everywhere else was surrounded by complete darkness. What if something popped out? A ghost?

After what felt like forever, the elevator finally arrived so I hurried and got in.

  ✿ ✿ ✿  

I was so tired. My eyelids could not stay open. It felt as if there were super heavy weights pulling them downwards, making it impossible for them to be open. I kept on yawning. I just wanted to sleep right now. I quickly unlocked the front door and went inside. The apartment was quiet and dark. Dark curtains covered the windows blocking any light from coming in. I guess Christian liked his privacy and it's not like I could say anything about it. The fact that there was no light coming from Christian's room surprised me. He had left the office over half an hour ago. Why wasn't he home?

I wanted to turn on the lights but maybe due to my sleepiness, I couldn't remember where the light switch was. I knew it was around here somewhere... I carefully moved my hands against the walls, trying to feel for the switch. It should be near here... maybe I went down to far? I went the opposite direction and slowly slide my hands down that way.... where was it?

Step by step, I went forward and then...... creeakkkk.....

I froze in my spot and gripped onto my tote bag nervously. Was it a robber? A chill crawled down my spine at the mere thought.

What to do... what to do. I held up my bag as a shield and slowly went toward the sound, using the wall as a guide. If there's anyone there, just hit whoever it was as hard as you can, I told myself.

Maybe a couple steps down, I touched the sharp edge telling me there was no more wall but as I pulled my hand back, I brushed against something hard.

Was it another wall? I brought my hand to the unknown object and felt to see if it was truly a wall. I was surprised to feel that it was not. It was hard alright, but totally not a wall. It was warm and I could feel fabric underneath my fingers. Hm, what is this?

The lights suddenly turned on and in front was of me was....

"What the hell?!?" the person exclaimed furiously.