Chapter 2

Mrs Hughes shows us to our sleeping quarters it was a small room which was full of character, but it was big enough. The room had white walls and a dark wooden floor, pushed up against one of them walls was a single iron bed which had on it a pale pink top sheet and a white matrass cover, the furniture consisted of one dark oak desk with a chair a bed side table and a dark chest of draws. It was nice and the view was even better the servants quarters were situated at the top of the house so you could see for miles "we'll get a bed for the wee one".

"Are you sure" I say putting down my brown suitcase.

"Yes now I'll leave you to unpack come down when you're ready"

"Alright" I answer as she closes the door leaving us I sit down on the bed Henry stands looking at me.

"Mummy is this going to be our forever home" I put my arms out and lift him onto my knee 

"I hope so Henry I really do" I smile kissing his head.

I change into the uniform Mrs Hughes gave me which was blue I'm going to be lady's maid to lady Edith what if she doesn't like me, I take Henry's hand and we make our way down to the servants hall there was more people than before "Lilly come meet everyone" Anna says as we get to the bottom of the stairs she leads us to the room which she was in earlier sewing "this is Mr Moseley" I smile he was the person who directed us this morning.

"Hello nice to be acquainted" he says shaking my hand then he shakes Henry's "nice to meet you as well Henry I hope you both like it here a Downton"

"Thank you Mr Moseley" we get introduced to more people Daisy who answered the door this morning, works with  Mrs Patmore in the kitchen , Mrs Baxter who is Lady Cora's lady maid and a young under butler I forget his name and a few maids.

"You will meet my husband Mr Bates lord Grantham's valet and Barrow who is the first footman at teatime they are out with the family today".

Anna gives me and Henry a tour of the house after gaining permission from Mr Carson. As we walk around Henry looked very surprised at the size of the house it very grand, I can't believe one family lives here in London there is 12 people to two rooms in some cases "mummy is this all a house".

"Yes Henry but a big house like Downton is called an estate" I don't think a four year old understands what the word means  

"Ahh wow" his face lights up Anna smiles.

"He's lovely" Anna comments "where are you from, you don't sound like you're from around here".

"Thank you I'm from London originally moved up north when the War began to York".

We walk up some large stairs there are many rooms "this is Lady Edith's room" Anna says pointing to the only door which was open on the landing I hear laughter children's laughter I follow Anna as she continues to walk she stops and opens the door of the room where the laughter was coming from "this is the nursery and these are Little lady Sybil Master George and Lady Marigold she said introducing each of the children

"Hello" I say they all shyly wave back and Henry waves too

"This is Henry he's going to be staying here" Anna says "with his mummy"

"Would Henry like to stay here Miss" the nurse maid asked "while Anna shows you the rest of the house"

"Are you sure Agnus" Anna asks

"The more the merrier" she smiles taking Henry's hand "shall we read a story" me and Anna exit the room quickly before he notices, we walk along the halls Anna shows me different rooms and explains what they are used for I'm going to forget, I'll get lost in this place, I think I could find a friend in Anna, she's so friendly and kind.

We collect Henry on the way back he was reluctant to leave, Anna checks her watch "the family will be back any minute" she sounded panicked "we must go back down".

As we walk down the stairs the main doors open and I instantly recognise the person who opened the door it was Thomas, tears form in my eyes as our eyes locked on each other I pick Henry up quickly and make my way to the servant's quarters.

"Lillian is everything alright" I feel like I can't breathe I put Henry down and sit down on the bottom step with my head in my hands

"Lilly are you alright" the voice says behind me, I look up to see Anna's kind eyes I have to think

"I thought they would disapprove of Henry".