Chaper 3

"Don't be silly" Mrs Hughes says I don't want to move why is he here "the Family knows you're here" the last time I saw him he was in an army uniform boarding a train which left for war I met him when he was training to be an army officer I was a nurse but I had to give that up when Henry was born, it was a gamble applying for the job at downtown because of Henry I glad Mrs Hughes and Lady Grantham read my letter, it looks like times are changing, Henry gives me a hug I stand up and take his hand.

"I'm alright thank you Mrs Hughes" we walk into the dining area and sit at the table Henry begins to draw.

"Lilian can you sew" Anna asks while entering the room with her hands full of clothing.

"Yes I can" I take them from her.

"Thank you these are Lady Edith's, Mrs Hughes asked if you could  fix them, I must go I need to get Lady Mary ready for dinner". 

I was busy sewing the last piece of clothing when Mr Carson came into the room I hadn't even realised "Mrs Barker we have a guest now so you will be needed upstairs this never usually happen".

"Ok Mr Carson" I answer with a warm smile 

" Oh and Mrs Barker please make sure Mr Henry stays downstairs" I nod and check the small black watch on my wrist 6:30 pm Mr Carson walks away I've been here since 10 o'clock this morning and I'm already been thrown in at the deep end but I don't mind I'm quite enjoying it.

"Mummy why do I have to stay here why can't I go and see George" I smile.

"Because its bedtime soon" he pushes out his bottom lip I go into the kitchen "Mrs Patmore I don't want to be a bother but I'm needed upstairs could you watch Henry" she smiles

"Of course we can can't we Daisy" she says happily.

"Yes I suppose" she answers coldly.

"Henry come here please" I hear feet running he really is his father's double I really hope nobody makes the connection, I'm not leaving, not yet anyway "you're going to stay with Mrs Patmore and Daisy but don't get in their way they are very busy, sit and the table and watch ok" he nods I hear lots of feet coming down the stairs I look back to see Andy, Mosley and Thomas the person who I was trying my hardest to avoid.

"Lilian you're needed upstairs" Mosley said

"I'll be right up" I smile walking past them as they get trays, Thomas's eyes connect with mine briefly "hello" was all that I could say

"Hello" he shakes my hand "I'm Thomas Barrow" he looks upset I sense that he is angry.

Once I'm at the top of the stairs I have to compose myself I open the door and see a lot of people gathered around the entrance "Mrs Barker go and get that tray of drinks" I nod and pick up the silver tray and offer them around.

"Oh you must be Lady Edith's lady's maid nice to meet you I'm Cora"

"Yes I am my lady" the whole time I feel eyes on me as I give drinks to the family whose names I've finally learnt.

"Dinner is served" Mr Carson says opening some grand door "Mrs Barker you can help serve" they must not have enough people I pick the gravy jug up I walk round the table following Andy once I'm done I wait against the wall quietly, Thomas stands next to me this is a side of him I've never seen his mouth was set in a hard line and we don't make eye contact.

As the family was having an open discussion about something I wasn't paying attention to but I do notice a Irishman , he somehow looked like he fitted in but he also looked like he didn't I find myself fixated on him as he talked I feel his and Thomas eyes on me I can't cope with the tension I hope this situation never happens again, but knowing my luck it probably will I feel physically sick I thought he was dead he promised to write to me when he come back from war I feel bile rising in my throat I have to leave the room realisation just hit me, "Mrs Barker are you alright you look like you have seen a ghost" I smile.

"I'm fine my lady" I answer calmly. 

Once dinner was over I make my way back down stairs with plates in my hands to get washed up once I put them down, I check on Henry who was now with Mr Bates and Anna talking away, I still feel warm so I decide to go outside, I stand for a while taking in the fresh air then I hear the outside door open and it was...