Chapter 14: Dream Or Reality?

Zephyr's POV

The morning after my little bump-in with my father the night before was an unusually ... quiet one. By the time I had woken up — which turned out to be around noon — both my father and his dragon were long gone, leaving me to enjoy my breakfast in solitude as I attempted to analyze every single breath of my conversation with my father the night before.

My mother, she just seemed too ... too real. Everything about her felt so clear, so full of life. How could I have dreamt something that realistic? How could I still feel her warmth around me every time I thought about her embrace? I rubbed my temples as my head ached from the speed the wheels in my mind were turning at, gods, why did it feel so real?

I was halfway through my bowl of oatmeal when I gave up on breakfast and realized that I needed someone to talk to about all of this and who better to talk about difficult things with than your best friend?

I quickly dropped my bowl into the washing bucket before I stormed out the door and in the direction of Cortie's house. I breezed past many of the villagers, who all seemed a little surprised to see me out and about, but I didn't have the time to stop and tell everyone that I was feeling a little better.

I marched up the steps to Cortie's house and rapped my knuckles against the dark, pine door. Moments later the door swung open, revealing Cortie's mother, Ruffnut, who looked just as surprised to see me as I was to see her. "Uh ... hey, Mrs. Ingerman I was wondering if Cortie was in? I really need to talk to her."

Ruffnut began playing with her braids as she seemed to be avoiding my gaze. "Oh, Cortie's not here, she's out with her father for the day."

I blinked, a little surprised to hear that Cortie had a life that was separate from me. It's not like I didn't know how much time she usually spends with her parents — which is a surprising amount for a girl her age — it was just the fact that she wasn't there when I needed her the most. But there was no way I could blame her for that, I figured I would just have to find someone else to talk to. "Oh, ok. Well, if you can tell her that I stopped by, that would be very nice of you Mrs. Ingerman. Have a nice day!"

Before Ruffnut even had the chance to say farewell, I was already headed in the direction of her brother's home, the Thorston house, which was definitely at the bottom of my list for potential people to talk to, but Ragnhild could be a very good friend and listener if she really wanted to. I was hoping this was one of those days.

I was in for one hell of a surprise when I turned up at the Thorston house and found it to be completely deserted, only a piece of parchment pinned to the door with a ... wishbone? How did that even work?

I squinted at the messy handwriting as I attempted to decipher whatever it was that the Thorstons had written on their note.

Taking a family vacation to the edge, we'll be back in a few days! (Leave the yakchops on the table this time, Ruffnut.) - Tuffnut and the gang

I let out a sigh as I dragged a hand across my face. Great, even Ragnhild was gone! Now there were no humans left I felt comfortable talking to about any of this. Amazing.

I made my way to the stables and up to Firestorm's stall, where she was peacefully napping. I couldn't help but smile at the snoring Nadder as I picked up some fish from the feeding station and brought it over to her in a bucket.

"Hey girl, it's time to wake up." I spoke softly as I gently stroked her head and watched her slowly open her eyes. "I brought something for you, seeing as I thought you might be hungry."