~A~

Owen put a hand on Kota's shoulder, part for reassurance and part for restraint, as the Council stared at them. He glanced over at Axel and Corey to find Axel meeting his eyes with concern. Councilwoman Chaney adjusted her dark red, cat's eye glasses on her stern, forbidding face before spearing first Owen then Axel with disapproving looks.

"Gentlemen," Chaney's voice dripped heavily with disappointment, "As you are, no doubt, well aware the Academy is not a place one sends troubled kids. Nor is it a resource for fixing one's parenting mistakes. Frankly I'm appalled that either of your families would have the audacity to ask something like this." Owen felt his hopes crumble, even as Kota stiffened with anger under his hand. Owen felt the insult just as fiercly but it would do neither of them any good to get angry.

"However," Councilman Trent said after a moment of tense, uncomfortable silence, "Since the Academy has been trying, unsuccessfully, to recruit your children for some time now we are willing to agree to your request. There are, naturally, conditions and they are non-negotiable." Owen heard Corey give a relieved sigh. Conditions they could handle, hopefully.

"First," Councilman Trent continued in a firm but not unsympathetic voice, "This will not be a new form of discipline or parenting. You want your children to attend the Academy boot camp, presumably to learn some of the same lessons that you all learned there. We want your children in the Academy. So the first condition is simple. Scott, Micah, Isaiah, and Wesley will join the Academy." Owen could feel Kota stiffen and knew he was going to argue. Twenty years had not diminished Kota's desire to to keep those he loved out of the Academy, For their own safety of course. He squeezed Kota's shoulder firmly, sending the message to wair . Kota gave a barely perceptible nod as Trent went on.

"They will join the Academy together as a new team. At boot comp they will be joined by a fifth member, one we've had trouble placing on a team. We believe, given your own unique pasts, that your children will be eminently suitable since they member they will be joined by is a bird," Owen had to fight to hide his shock though Axel, Corey, and Kota failed. A bird on an all dog team? The Academy had fought them and tested them until couldn't possibly deny they worked, The Toma and Anderson teams had been as through much the same. . Now they were willingly going to try?

"This particular bird is unsuited to be a lone bird. She needs a team but we have exhausted every current bird team. This may be the opportunity we've been waiting for." Trent was starting to sound like an officious bore, which Owen though was rather remarkable for a kid in his mid twenties.

"Second," He continued in his mind numbing voice, " we also want Avery and Eleanor from the Blackbourne Family. Three children from each family, That is the price of what you want. Avery and Eleanor will be transferred immediately to the Academy for training until they are old enough to be put on a team." The bore finally shut up. Was that all?

"May we have a moment?" Owen asked. Councilwoman Chaney nodded, waving a dismissive hand. Corey and Axel joined them.

"Corey sighed and rubbed his hand across his dark blonde hair. "I hadn't planned on this being a permanent arrangement but perhaps it's for the best."

"You know how I feel about the kids joining the Academy, Owen." Kota's voice held a resignation that clearly said he knew it was going to lose the argument.

"You know very well that we were never going to keep Avery and Eleanor out, Kota." Owen lifted an eyebrow in amusement.

"Three children from each family are to join the Academy?" Axel broke the silence, " It seems to me they could have demanded a lot more."

Owen watched Kota tap his fingers against his legs at he thought for a moment. Eventually, Kota's nervous tapping stilled.

"I still think this is the best way to handle recent events. Your right, Axel, they could have demanded a lot more."

Owen looked to where the council waited patiently for an answer, "We agree to these conditions."

Chaney gave a small smile, "Good. Avery and Eleanor will transferred immediately. Micah, Isaiah, Wesley and Scott are to report to boot camp in one week." The council members began shuffling around, preparing to leave. owen turned to do the same but the clearing of a throat stopped him.

"It's been a pleasure to see you again, Gentlemen, " Councilman Harry said, "I, for one, look forward to seeing what the children of two of our most successful teams are capable of accomplishing together."