Chapter 4

"Where are we?" Thea whispered looking around.

"This is the Forest of Gaia." Hermes released her and took a step back. "It once grew in Ancient Greece but mortals began to destroy it in their need for self preservation. Under Demeter's order, it was moved to the realm of the Gods where no soul could destroy it."

"Wait, so we aren't on Earth right now?"

"No, we're in the realm of the Gods."

"Can all the Gods move between the realms?"

"No, I am one of the only ones. Many choose to remain on Olympus. Others travel to the mortal realm to have their fill."

"Fill of what?"

Hermes smirked. "Of women."

For some reason, Thea wasn't surprised. She tried to change the topic back to the matter of hand.

"This forest looks familiar." Thea turned, looking at the trees as if remembering old friends.

"You once lived here," Hermes stated. "Back when you were known as Lissandre."

"That name you all keep calling me?"

"Yes. In your past life you were once on par with the Gods themselves thanks to the powers the Elder Gods embedded you with."

A headache started at the base of Thea's skull and she held her head. "That sounds absurd."

"You have no idea," Hermes muttered.

Thea looked at Hermes and for a moment his hair looked longer. She blinked and it was back to normal. "So what the hell is going on? Are you really Hermes, the messenger of the Gods?"

Hermes grimaced. "I always hated that title but that is who I am."

The image of the little blue Hermes from the Disney movie popped into her head. "You're different from what I imagined."

"Why, because I'm not wearing sandals with wings on them?"

Thea glanced at his boots, they looked like something from a steam punk movie, black with silver buckles and she noticed black wings on each of them. Any other time she would have laughed but right now her head was threatening to split open.

Her vision began to blur. "What about my powers? The fire and water -"

Hermes grabbed her shoulders as her legs buckled from the pain. "Are you alright?"

"My head," Thea whimpered.  Her eyes rolled into the back of her head as the pain intensified, strong arms embracing her as the world went black.

*                              *                              *                              *                              *

A cool breeze blew across her skin and Thea opened her eyes. She was lying on the forest floor, large trees loomed above her. Lifting her hand, Thea shielded her eyes from the glare of the sun.

The first thing she noticed was her head ache was gone. The second, so was Hermes.

"Hermes?" Thea called, uncertain. "Where are you?"

Thea jumped, hearing faint voices through the trees on her right. Standing up, she headed towards them hoping to find Hermes. Walking through the forest, Thea felt like she was home. Her feet knew where to step, lifting higher to step over unearthed roots without Thea having to look. The smell of pine was stronger and Thea breathed deep, finding the smell oddly comforting.