Chapter 20

“Why didn’t you come to me straight away?” Hermes asked as he leaned against the balcony railing.

“I don’t know. I was more worried about Hades being pissed that I’d iced his room.” Thea touched his arm briefly. “Why do you think he keeps appearing in my apartment? Is he hanging around town waiting for me or something?”

Hermes shook his head. “No, I don’t think so. Just to be sure though, I’ll go and check it out today.”

“I’m coming with you.” Thea moved to follow him and he spun back around, grabbing her waist.

“No way, you stay here.”

“What? Why? You don’t think he’ll even be there!”

“But what if he is?” Hermes murmured, pulling her close. “I can handle myself in a fight but what if I can’t protect you?”

“I can defend myself, you know?” Thea rested her hands on his chest, giving him a little shove. “I want to go back for a day, anyway. Being cooped up down here is suffocating.”

“Let the girl go home, Hermes. I’ll keep an eye on her.”

Hermes cursed and pulled Thea closer as she tried to move away. “You still haven’t learned how to give people privacy after all these years, Artemis.”

“If you want privacy then go somewhere more secretive.” She folded her arms. “So when are we heading off to check the apartment?”

“Who said you were coming?” Hermes raised an eyebrow.

“Of course I’m coming. You were just bitching that you wouldn’t be able to protect Thea by yourself. So I’ll come and pick up your slack.”

Hermes grabbed Thea’s hand and pulled her past Artemis. “You can come if you want but Thea still stays – Ow!”

Thea slapped him across the head. “I’m coming! Artemis said she’ll look out for me, so this is happening.”

“Women,” he muttered, eyeing them both. “Fine. You stay with me or Artemis at all times. No wandering off.”

“I can do that. So, when do we leave?”

“As soon as you’re ready.” Hermes looked at her damp clothes. “Do you want to get changed?”

Thea pulled on her shirt and sighed. “No, the rest of my clothes are still frozen. I’ll change when I get home.”

Artemis went to grab her things and they went down to the main hall to wait for her. Thea moved anxiously on the spot, her fingers tapping against her thighs. She was more than excited to be going home. Even if it was only for a few hours, the thought of being in her apartment — somewhere normal and familiar — made her insanely happy.

Hermes grabbed her hands. “You really want to go home, don’t you?”

“I really do.”

Pulling her forward, he pressed a light kiss to her lips.  “Sorry you’ve been cooped up all this time. We just want to make sure you’re kept safe.”

Thea freed her hands and wrapped them around his neck. “I know you’re all worried about making sure I’m still alive to take care of Cronos –“

“Thea, that’s not what I meant,” Hermes sighed.

She flicked his ear. “Let me finish. I know your concern is more than about Cronos. I just don’t like to be confined all the time. And my apartment has been my home for years. I miss being somewhere where I feel safe and familiar.”