Chapter 10 - Haley

Chapter 10- Haley

I went down the stairs and looked around. There was lots of scurrying, most likely rats. I continued down and coughed a few times on the dust that was in the air. As I reached the bottom I paused and looked around for where Haley may be. There was a few poles, that obviously helped hold up the foundation. They weren't thick enough or close enough together to hide her behind them. The corners of the room where very dark, and I can't see how long it went on for but it looked fairly small. 

I started walking to the right first. There was a sink and a counter next to it. A washer and a dryer were there too. I coninued down and realized that the tile floor bellow me was like a kitchen. I guess it was an extra dinning room. That's cool. For some reason I still want to buy this house! 

A little farther down there was a door. Should I open it? Of course! This is for Haley. I opened up the door and it was a bathroom. The toilet, sink, mirror, and shower were still there. I turned on the switch and a light popped on. That's different for a change. I looked in every corner and finally realized I had to look in the bathtub. I looked over the edge and there was Haley, tied up with something over her mouth. I quickly untied it and pulled her into a hug. Not caring what was happening around us. I had found my best friend. 

"Are you alright, Haley?"

"Y-yes b-but c-can w-w p-p-please g-et out of h-here?" she stuttered, already crying.

"Of course." I whispered and pulled her up the stairs and out the door.

When we returned home Haley had composed herself and looked at me.

"Can we sneak in? I want to clean up and change before anyone sees me." 

"Of course. I'll walk in the front and keep everyone occupied and you sneak in the back door and go straight up to my room."

"Okay. Thanks, Amanda." she gave me a weak smile before walking around back. I took a deep breath and walked inside.

"Honey, did you find her?" my mom asked.

"How about I tell you all a few things and tell you the rest when I come back downstairs?"

"Okay, what would you like to tell us?"

"I found, Haley!"

"Really? Oh that's such a relief! Where is she? Where did you find her?"

"That, is for later. Mom, I'm sorry but I want to get some rest. I'll come down with a surprise later. OK?"

"OK, do you need anything?"

"I'm just grab some drinks and a snack first."

I grabbed two waters, some goldfish, and a big cheese and salami sub to share. I walked upstairs and closed the door. Haley was sitting on my bed.

"I have a snack we can split.. some water.. and do you need anything else?"

"Thank you so much, Mandy. It means so much to me to be out of that place. Do you still want to buy it? I don't anymore it scares me now.... I need a shower I think." she smiled sheepishly.

"Haley, you're my best friend. Honestly, I do still want to buy that house. It's still oddly beautiful but I can understand why it may scare you. How about you go take a shower and then you can come back in here and we can talk."

"Okay. Does your family know you found me?"

"Ya, I told them that and nothing else.'

"Okay, thanks again." She walked out and into the shower.  I really wonder what happened to Haley but I don't want to push it. She's obviously been through a lot and I want her to feel safe and respected. 

When the water stopped running I grabbed the extra clothes she keeps at my place and some undergarments and brought them into the bathroom. She was standing there drying off as I entered.

"You OK?"

"Ya, just a but shaken up thats all."

"Come on in when you're done changing." I said and gave her a quick hug before walking out.