TWO

I glanced over at Yoriko as she awoke. "Hey Touka, I just had the strangest dream..." She said, the tone in her voice making it obvious that she had only just woken up. "The 'Eyepatch Ghoul' showed up and you kissed him! I mean who would want to kiss such a heartless monster!" She added exasperatedly. "I am offended." I heard a voice say. It was Kaneki. No doubt about it. "T-Touka! I-is th-that-!" Yoriko's fearful exclamation was interrupted by Kaneki's calm voice that for some reason always managed to sooth my anger. "Yes. And I prefer 'Kaneki' to 'Eyepatch'." He said, showing next to no emotion. As he walked over to stand beside me.

Staring into his stormy grey eyes, I felt myself falling. Descending a never ending spiral of emptiness. Every time I tried to pull myself back to reality, I sunk further into the bottomless grey pools.

"Ahem!" The sound of Yoriko clearing her throat snapped my attention back to the real world. Turning to face the best friend that I nearly forgot about, I saw her looking fearfully at Kaneki. "He doesn't hurt innocents." I said with a reassuring smile. "You sure?" She asks quietly.

"Certain."

"Really?"

"Yes. Do I look like I'm lying?"

Yoriko studied my face for a second before shaking her head. Kaneki sat down on the couch about a metre away from  Yoriko. Yoriko shuffled away from him, drawing his attention to her. "That is unnecessary." He stated in his usual overly formal speech pattern. "I won't bite." The last comment caused a soft smile to light up his features. I giggled quietly at his pun. Yoriko on the other hand, didn't see the humour.