XIII - The Prisoner Queen

On planet Life, in the Andromeda galaxy, drops of water fell intermittently in the corner of the cell where Princess Isadora had been kept prisoner for some months. The girl was dirty, thin, and mistreated. She wanted to avenge the death of the person she loved most in her life: her father, King Zador. A mix of depression and hatred alternated in her mind, fueling her desire to stay alive.

Counselor Kenan, his father's great friend, was also recluse in the royal jail. He wanted to be able to do something to save the girl, but he couldn't see a way out. Sitting in his cell, he thought, his eyes watering:

"This was something I never wanted to see at the end of my life: the murder of my friend Zador and the arrest of his daughter in this filthy place, thrown to the moths, with no chance of gaining freedom. If only Captain Merko could be warned of what happened here. But Mirov has thrown us to death and doesn't allow us visits, nor any kind of contact. How I wanted to find a way to save you, princess..."

Isadora stared at a brush of light slowly disappearing from the window railing. The sun was setting and it was almost night. Her eyes, full of the tears that were spilled every night, announced the lack of hope. She remembered her dear father, a victim of Mirov's wickedness, which had poisoned him.

"My father gave me the ring of communication that would make contact with Nicholas and Merko on Earth, but Mirov blocked all communications. My only chance would be if some friend of Merko knew I was arrested and helped me escape. I hope one of them can help me. Still, I need to think of a plan to get out of here."

***

On planet Earth, after returning to the United States with his family, after another day of work, Merko planned to communicate with counselor Kenan and the planet Life. He was nervous about the communications' silence on his planet and he needed to talk to someone there to calm down. From his home, he telepathically spoke to Nicholas:

"Nicholas, let's go to the ship. We need to contact someone on planet Life. I feel that something is wrong. Now that we've been able to solve Helen's problem, we can try to talk to our friends again."

"Sure, Merko. I'll tell Zara before we go."

After Nicholas told Zara that they would go to the ship, he and Merko scheduled their teleportation bracelets and in seconds materialized within Star Hunter spaceship.

Nicholas asked Merko:

"Is it necessary for us to leave this hiding place to establish a communication signal?"

"No. The robot-satellite will serve as a bridge to send our signals. With the power of the ship's equipment, it will be easy to establish contact with the planet. Maybe we haven't achieved it so far due to some malfunctioning of the robot-satellite or any turbulence in the wormhole. But we can try... I need to know about planet Life. I've dedicated my whole life to it and even being on Earth I miss the place where I was born," Merko said.

They tried several times to talk to planet Life, but they couldn't. No one answered them.

"Z8, check the status of all communication devices on the spacecraft and the robot-satellite and check the alignment of the wormhole with Andromeda."

"Yes, sir. I'll check all the data."

"Nicholas, you got a ring of communication from King Zador. I'm remembering that now."

"Yes, Merko. It's the one on my finger." The young man turned his hand to show him the finger with the jewel. "I like it very much, but I've never used it for this purpose. The king said I could contact the planet Life whenever I needed."

"Try it, please. Lift the side tab and touch its center. A light will flash transmitting laser waves with the exact frequency of the palace channels."

The young man tried, but no one answered.