II - Zara's Presence

The next day, Nicholas arranged with his mother and sister to receive Zara and Merko for dinner. Although he was worried about his girlfriend's pregnancy, he knew he would have time before he was forced to reveal something because her belly would begin to appear and Zara would not just look "chubby". Lorena and Sophia were curious to meet the woman who had won Nicholas' heart. They knew he was a good boy, though he did not have much luck with girls and hoped that this time he'd found a good person. He undoubtedly deserved it.

When the bell rang, Sophia ran to the door to answer it, anxious.

"It must be her," said the little girl, with a sigh.

"Easy, dear. Let Nick get it. After all, it's his girlfriend," Lorena interjected.

"It's all right, mom. You can leave it to me, Sophia," said the boy, already heading for the door.

Nicholas welcomed Zara, who looked beautiful. She wore jeans and a red blouse. Simple yet elegant. He kissed her lightly on the mouth and hugged her. Then he took her hand and, sensing that she was nervous to meet her new family, gently led her toward his mother.

"Darling, this is my mother, about whom I have spoken so much."

"It's a pleasure, Zara. I'm glad to meet you. I see you have made my son very happy." Lorena was enchanted by the beauty of her future daughter-in-law. "And what a scare you guys took! I was getting desperate, and I think your father must have been through the same torment..."

Zara smiled, not understanding anything, since Merko and Nicholas had not told her anything yet. He quickly made mental contact with her and explained everything.

As soon as she knew everything, Zara answered the young man telepathically:

"Nick, you know I do not like lies!"

"But, honey, I didn't have what to say. If I said I was abducted and everything, my mother would never believe it. She would think I was crazy! Remember that it was for good reason. I promise I'll never do it again."

"Then fine." She replied, with suspicion in her eyes.

"What is it, Zara? You and Nick were paralyzed looking at each other as if you were seeing a haunt" Nick's mother asked, cutting off the contact between them.

"I'm sorry, Lorena. For a moment, I remembered the bad moments we have been through these last few weeks."

"You're right, my dear. Let's not talk about it anymore."

Nicholas bowed his head in agreement with his mother. Zara continued to speak:

"But back to our initial conversation, the pleasure is all mine of meeting you. In fact, it's your son the one who makes me happy."

"This is Sophia, my sister," said Nicholas, introducing the little girl who kept jumping around them. "Isn't she pretty?"

"I think she's much prettier than you mentioned in your comments, Nick."

Sophia blushed and hugged Zara. He smiled at her, a little embarrassed. She was very happy to meet her future sister-in-law.

As they talked, suddenly the image of a man appeared in the door that was still open. Lorena and Sophia were shocked because the mother, with the joy of meeting her son's girlfriend, had forgotten that there would be one more guest and the girl had not even heard of Zara's father.

"I'm sorry, Lorena, I forgot to tell you that my father was outside, parking the car." Merko looked at Lorena with a glint in his eyes. She gave him a look of admiration and they both froze for a few seconds.