Chapter 1: A Different Kind of Fire

Angry flames surrounded the entirety of the white marble table. It tossed and wildly reached as high as the ceiling went, but there was no evidence of smoke inhaled or seen. The flames weren't normal though for it couldn't burn and it was in the shade of blue and violet. As unearthly as it was, it seemed to envelope a lying, unconscious man. His arms were restrained on each of the table's edge. His feet - with the same treatment. Called by most of the resident staff as André, he was the eldest son of the Rogratiatto Family Master of the House, Monsieur Alfon Rogratiatto.

For the most part, it wasn't the man's willingness to be a sacrifice in a demonic possession, but he accepted anyway. For the most part, it was the the family's endeavor to capture and control the demon now residing destructively inside him. With all the planning and careful estimation, neither of the family members had expected that their plans would go awry. They had never expected that such a demon would be this powerful to infest itself inside André's body for good.

"Any day now your son will die if you let your greed get to you Alfon! S'il vous plaît...je vous en prie. Nous avons besoin d'aide! Let us call for help! I don't want our son to suffer any longer!" A woman dressed in all black pleaded to her husband, kneeling on the floor in front of him with eyes beaming with tears. She sobbed and sobbed until her lungs could do no more. This was her last resort in talking some sense on her husband's stone-like disposition hoping that he would concede...praying that he would relent.

Alfon, after heaving a deep sigh, bellowed in rage, "La bonté Regina! Don't think even for a second that I am not worried with our son!" He stood up from sitting in the master chair and waltzed around the room, avoiding contact with his wife's tear-drenched eyes and his son's precarious situation. Holding his head down, he thought of ways on how to save his son's life and there was only one answer that could give him light and it seems, his wife also knew of this for a fact.

"Then, please...please...call the Vatican! Take that demon away from André's body!" Regina stressed. She stood up, clutched the hem of her dress with both hands and carefully watched her husband's movements. Whatever he was thinking now, she hoped that it was alike to what she suggested.

There was no other way in the first place. They both knew that only Vatican exorcist priests could do the job. They both knew that Vatican exorcist priests can help save their son's life. Even if it was against their beliefs and against the brotherhood, they had to make an exception for André; for their eldest son who would soon be the heir to the family's immense fortune.

Alfon, with a scrunched up nose, hissed, and this time, felt it considerate to view his son's failure for the last time.

"Go," he whispered after a long battle of seconds, "Call Cardinal Allesna."

His wife gasped and with a quick nod of relief, stalked out of the room, wiping her tears dry with a handkerchief before anyone could see.

When Alfon was left alone, he fell back in his chair and wiped a bead of sweat in his forehead. Surely, he thought, there was another way to get this demon in the family's good will. The conjurer who summoned this entity of the night had vouched that a healthy man such as his son could do the job properly; that he could be an appropriate vessel for the entity to reside. He had crossed his heart that everything would turn out right, but now this has happened.

"Tsk. What to do...what to do?" he reiterated to himself, feeling utterly muddled as he gazed at the blue and violet flames streaking towards the ceiling.

~ H ~

Walking along the corridor hastily, Regina's pace was cut off when a hard turn in an intersection, she saw the root cause of her eldest son's poor state: Ysabelle Rogratiatto.