Chapter 6: A Shadow in the Darkness

Father Marcus placed himself on the right side of the marble table, his waist in line with André's chest. It was an odd position for an exorcism ceremony as normally priests, rabbis, imams and other religious leaders either place themselves on top the head of the victim or at the foot. Nevertheless, no one was complaining.

Regina, after pushing the button, returned to her husband's side and sat rather anxiously in the solo sofa next to him. Still, Ysabelle continued to silently observe the development, keeping her breaths deep and controlled.

Yes, as per reported, the blue and violet flames didn't burn when Marcus placed a hand on André's chest. He didn't feel anything at all. No tingling sensation or searing pain. It was odd, but Marcus found it beneficial for him. True enough, the Holy Pope was right that this exorcism might be easy; however, Marcus chose not to let his guard down. After doing a sign of the cross, he uttered his first word that had completely left Ysabelle dumbstruck.

شیطان

It was foreign on the audience's ears, except for her. It was so clear, so precise a pronunciation that she had to ask herself, why does he know that particular ancient Aramaic language? How had he gotten to learn the dialect? She indeed wanted to find out the answer, but in the end assumed that it must be from the Vatican exorcism training he had undergone in the past. It was a possible scenario. But still...

Marcus went on to speak, reciting a powerful verse as his eyes closed.

لیک شعله های آتش دوزخ شما بر این روح فقیر ، رای دادند. تبعید درد. سهولت روح خود را. توسط بالاتر از بهشت ، من به شما فرمان!

As a result, a vacuum of air coming from his hand escaped and created a cold, cold draft around the room. The flames tossed wildly even more and this time, Marcus felt a slight burning sensation on his hand and waist. It was the demon's act of aggression it seems and it was fighting around its way on the binding words.

Once again, the ringing in Marcus' ears that bothered him when he first stepped inside the room returned. It was an odd occurrence as he had never experienced such objective symptom ever since he started dealing with the entities of the dark. Not even once. 'So this job wouldn't be easy after all,' was what his subconscious realized after being subjected to an intensified high-decibel ringing in his ears. This time, it buried the ancient language from his mouth almost to the point that Marcus thought he was deaf.

He cringed with the loudness, but nevertheless, went on.

'Demon. You, who is the scourge of man, leave this mortal body alone!' Marcus shouted in his thoughts in straight English. 'I bind you...to eternity in Hell! I exorcise you!"

With the last word, Marcus felt a current of electricity bound his hand on André's chest. He flinched and wanted to pull it out, but some unusual force kept his hand right on spot. It seared his palm immediately and the surrounding skin reddened first before it charred.

To be subjected to physical pain was only puny a problem for him. Immune he was as he had experienced far worse as a matter of fact. A grin only emerged from his lips then. 'Good. Finally, a challenge,' that thought crossed his mind.

The whole room shook with the strong vibration appearing out of André's body. Light fixtures flickered wildly, the curtains suddenly burst out in blue flames. Regina, frightened, stood up and clutched her husband's shoulder, while the latter showed a stern, but surprised face. Ysabelle, on the other hand reacted differently. She saw the effects of the demon's power, but wasn't frightened. She kept a cool regard with it, not until she saw the priest's charred right hand. Apparently, that made her flinch and worry immediately.