Chapter nine

On your tip toes, you made your way to answer your phone. It showed on the display that it was your dad who was calling. At this time, he must have still been at work. You answered your phone to hear your dad in a rather stressed tone.

"Hello Dad?"

"Umm hello Darling... uhh... I was talking to a scientist from (h/t) research complex yesterday, and um.." You could hear him hesitate. Did something happen? "...Listen, you're going to transfer school."

"Huh?"

"Well... you see... I told him about your ability to speed heal."

"WHAT???"

What was going on? Your father had always protected you from being exposed to the world, to the point you weren't allowed to have friends, so why would he tell a scientist about this? It made absolutely no sense.

You remembered the time you scraped your knee as a kid and you were scared to see that the cut had closed itself before you could even get up. Your mother had shared the same ability as you had seen one time when she was cooking in the kitchen and cut herself. She had always told you that it was a gift from the gods but you could hardly believe such tale. You had stopped questioning why you were this way a long time ago.

Your father, on the other hand, did not possess such ability. Nonetheless, he still did his best to protect you and your mother. You were so happy... When did everything go so wrong? When had your father started to cheat? When had mother's strong spirit given up? And why was he now selling you out to a bunch of researchers?

"...Why?" Your voice sounded bitter. "I thought this was supposed to be a secret?"

"..."

"Answer me!"

"...I'm so sorry." He replied. "I've done so many mistakes in my life... I just want to give something back to this world. Start packing your things soon. You'll be staying at the complex. Sorry."

He hung up. What was that supposed to be about? Nothing made sense about what he had said. You tried to dial his number again but he didn't answer. You shook with anger and fear.

"You alright?" Jeff appeared behind hugging you.

You felt a big lump rise in your throat and your body went cold. If you said something, you were sure that you would burst out in tears.

"Don't be sad." Jeff said."Would killing him cheer you up?" He held out his knife.

You weren't sure how to feel. You were very mad but did you want him to die?

"Kill him"

A voice that sounded like that of your mother's ran through your head. Your dream... she asked you to kill your father. You shuddered.

"Listen, (n)." Jeff gently grabbed your chin, making you face him.

"I'll kill whoever you want me to. All you need to do is tell me." He whispered.

What were you supposed to do? You knew it wasn't wise to make decisions when you are angry, but you couldn't just let it slide. No... you needed answers.

You took a deep breath and looked at Jeff once more.

"I want to be the one to do it."

You and Jeff headed to the business building where your father was still in. It was already late and he was assumingly doing overtime since his car was still in the parking lot. You stopped and looked up, the wind blowing through your hair.

Jeff pulled you in for a kiss and grinned at you.

"Well then, lemme see how baddass you are." He said holding out his knife for you to take it. You carefully took hold of it as if you were afraid it would break. You stared at the knife as it showed your reflection. You took a deep breath and attempted to give Jeff a brave smile but as you turned your head, he was alreday gone.

Where could he have gone off, leaving his knife with you? Tucking it in your pocket, you pulled on the hoodie of your (favourite color) sweatshirt/jacket and sneaked inside the building. You knew where his office was so it wouldn't be too much of a problem to find him. You were not sure if you should really kill him but you had questions and if you are given the answers then you would decide what would happen next.

You finally reached the floor of your dad's office and looked around if there were any witnesses. No one was there. Perfect. You snuck into to his office and cautiously opened the office door.

"Yes?"

He was all by himself, sitting at the desk. You removed your hood.

"Oh darling, why are you here? You're not allowed to enter without per-"

"I want answers, dad." Your tone was stern and confident.

"... Honey, this isn't the best time-"

"Why are you selling me out to some scientists?" You pushed ahead, ignoring his protests.

"...I ..." He paused for a long moment. "I just wanna give this world something in return."

"What? You think sacrificing your own daughter will do any good?!"

"(n).... You know that you're special, right?"

"..."

"I've been selfish my whole life, always wanting to live in perfection until I just wanted to live a normal life."

What was he yapping about? How would turning his daughter into a guinea pig possibly make his life normal?

"Why do I heal up so fast?" You dared to ask. Again, he paused for a ling whole while.

"Your mother was just a wish."

"What??"

"She was... something else."

"What do you mean?" You were beginning to grow impatient.

"She was... an unknown entity."

Every single word that came out of his mouth made even less sense. You didn't understand.

"I used to be alone... rejected... I wanted to be loved by someone... So I prayed everyday until an angel granted me my wish: A woman that loved me unconditionally."

What was he saying? These were only words of a mad man.

"To be honest, she was more like an illusion. A perfect woman who gave birth to a perfect daughter like you, and because you are only supposed to be an illusion, you cannot get hurt. Perfection doesn't get wounds. That is why you heal so fast. You are imaginary, and in fact, I am not really your father."

"...What?" This couldn't be real... You took a step back in shock. No... he must be joking!

"I was happy until I met Joyce. Then I realized that I just wanted to be normal, to be with a human girl and have human children of my own..."

"B-but, I'm quiet real, a-am I not?" Tears begun to form in your eyes. This couldn't be true. It just couldn't!

"You are, that's why I let the research complex test you out. There have been people who are in much greater need than me, and it just was't fair for me to be surrounded by semi-illusions. Your mother killed herself because she lost her purpose of existence: to love me. A normal mother would never leave her child behind."

No... this was just too much to take in