Chapter One

Growing up I have always wanted to believe in fairy tales. Without a proper male model through the years, feminine influence took its toll on me.

But for Wes, it simply isn't right to believe in such "bullshit".

Wes—short for Wesley; not that that's important—is the man my mom had married after my dad had ever so lovingly abandoned us. He's the living leading men in all those chic flicks. He is the editor of PocketWise Gazette. As much as I love to write, I don't really want to do it for a savings magazine.

"Harry," the soft voice of my mother said "Wake up. You and Wes have people to meet today."

Nope, he's never a proper male model. Not to me.

I quickly prepared myself as formal as humanly possible.

The kitchen was awkwardly silent. Emily sat, picking at her mashed potatoes. "Good morning, Em."

A loud yell echoed from the other room.

"Good morning, H." She replied, ignoring the muffled yell.

I could imagine mom's exasperated expression and Wes absolutely done with everything.

"Peter Pan visited last night." Instantly, Em's eyes lit up. "Did he tell you another story?" She giddily asked and I nodded in response.

"Tell me!" I laughed. "Alright, Em, but you have to finish your food."

"Can you tell me while I'm eating?" She asked.

"Of course but once you stop chewing, I'll stop talking." She nodded, "Deal."

"Captain Hook had captured a lovely princess to lure Pan into his trap."

She gasped.

"Is she okay?" I pretended to zip my mouth. "Alright," She ate a mouth-full. "I'm eating."

"Hook captured the princess of a village along the mountains of Neverland. He tied her and suspended her over the ocean where a hungry alligator was waiting."

"Oh no."

"After waiting for far too long, Hook decided to just drop the poor princess into the ocean. But then a boy flew into the scene,"

"Peter Pan!"

"He flew straight underwater to save the heiress. It took Pan a while to resurface and so Hook thought he won. He proposed a celebration but then a small laugh came from behind him.

"He saved the princess!"

"In Peter Pan's arms was the beautiful girl, unharmed. He returned her to her village and was glorified as a hero yet again."

Emily clapped in awe. I collected her empty dish along with mine and handed them to one of the house helpers who insisted to clean them.

"I want to meet Peter Pan." Emily sighed, dreamily. "Maybe one day, Em." I proceeded to tie her hair into a neat bun. "What does Peter Pan look like?"

"Uh," What does he look like? "He looks fun." Really, Harry?

"No. Like physically. What's his hair color?" She asked.

"Brown. He's brunet." I answered. She raised her brow. "Well, go on." She urged. "He has blue eyes," I continued. "Like the sky?" She asked. "Somewhat like the sea." She thought about it for a moment. "How tall is he?" She asked. "He isn't too tall. I guess I'm taller than him." 

"He sounds charming." Yeah, I'd say he is a striking character. Props to me for making an impromptu character.

"Can I meet him, H? Will you introduce me?" She pleaded. "Alright, maybe I can ask him the next time he drops by but I should warn you, he doesn't like children who don't do well in school." I agreed. She rolled her eyes with a playful smile. "Alright, Harold." She knows I hate being called Harold. It's not even actually my name. "That's it." I tackled her with tickles and she laughed so much, milk came out of her nose.

You get the picture.

"You are so mean, Harold." She said with a smile as she wiped her chin with a table napkin.

Em's smile could light up the world. I had to struggle as I child so that I could have something to eat and after my mother married Wes, I had to follow him around. I'm not letting Emily go through that. I want her light to be the brightest one there is. For as long as I am here, she will get the childhood I wish I had.

"Harry, let's go!" Wes called and angrily slammed the door after him. Well, just like all good fairy tales, they eventually end.