Chapter 5

The sun streaming in the window jerked Vi awake. She sat straight up in bed. Her head immediately went spinning. She placed a hand on her forehead.

She stood and opened the curtains slightly, just enough for her to find the letter from her father. She crumpled it into a ball and tossed it across the room, hoping it would relieve her hurt, it failed.

Her head ached from the never ending tears she had cried last night. She had laid awake staring at the ceiling, begging God to make a way for her to escape. She pleaded with him to give her strength, to make her brave.

She couldn't find it in herself to agree to her father's arrangement. Her heart wouldn't allow it. She knew there was no way out of it and that was what crushed her entirely.

Her maid came in and greeted her, "Good mornin' Miss. I letcha' sleep in since you been having it hard here lately."

The maid sent her a shy smile and handed her a tray of food. Vi thanked the girl and asked her to draw her a bath. When she had finished nibbling on her food, she bathed quickly.

She pulled on her white flowing gown. She pulled all the pins from her hair and let it fall loose below a golden flower band. She grabbed her book and headed out the door.

She didn't bother nodding at the guards, she just kept walking. She had one focus, to get away from her prison while she still could.

She turned down the dirt path and kicked off her shoes. She picked them up and began running. She could feel the soft earth underneath her feet. Her hair blew about against the wind. Her dress caught on small plants and low branches but she kept running.

She reached the flowing river and stepped in the water's edge.

She tossed her shoes and book down on the mossy stump.

The cold water sent tingles up her legs. She began softly crying. She didn't think she had any tears left. Her legs wobbled and then failed her. They gave way and she landed roughly on her knees. The cool water splashed against the skin on her legs. The water flowed along, dragging her dress downstream as far as it would stretch.

She laid her head in her hands and let the sobs take their toll.

----

He rode Pepper down to the riverside. When he reached the meadow it seemed to be bursting with life. Birds flew out of the deep grass as he approached. There was an array of flowers everywhere. He hopped off of Pepper and led him around the edge of the meadow.

He came to the makeshift bridge, when he heard a peculiar sound. The soft sound of a broken heart filled his ears. He searched the water's shore for the broken soul.

He never guessed it would be her. He saw the Angel, on her knees, sobbing.

His heart ached at the sight. He tied Pepper to a low branch and jogged recklessly across the bridge.

He walked up behind her, "Dear Angel. What has happened to you? Why do you cry so?"

She jumped at his voice but did not get up. Her cries faded away and she stared out across the water. Her eyes were so devoid of hope.

"You... would not understand." She wiped the tears from her eyes.

He carefully knelt beside her. "I was sure that Heaven did not offer such great heartaches to trifle with."

She shook her head at him, "'Tis not Heaven that troubles me so."

"I did not know Angels worried over the troubles of man."

She released a deep, shaky breath. She looked at him and nodded as a tear escaped. She looked out across the water.

"You must think low of me, sir. A girl crying in the mud." She looked down at the wet ends of her dress, tugging gently at the pull of the water.

"Not at all, milady." He heard Pepper neigh in the distance. Pepper did not like to be left alone.

She looked over at him again. His green eyes held her captive. She brushed away her hair from her face. She wondered what she looked like, eyes swollen and red, her cheeks puffy and wet. Hideous, was the word she thought of.

"Would you like to meet my best friend?" He smiled gently.

She looked at him confused.

"He would love to meet you." He smiled at her.

He stood and held out his hand. She accepted cautiously. He pulled her up and led her to the bridge.

She stopped at the edge of the bridge.

He still held her hand, "Come on. He's just over there." He pointed to the other side of the river.

"I am not supposed to venture into MacCarthy territory." She said to him. He could see the fear in her eyes. He wasn't sure if she was afraid of him, the MacCarthy's, or something else.

"And I'm not supposed to venture into Dawley territory." He smirked at her.

"You're a MacCarthy, then?" She asked.

"And you're a Dawley?" He retorted.

Her smile faded. "We shouldn't. You know what they'll do if they find out we have even spoken, let alone ventured into each other's land."

He hopped down off of the bridge and stepped closer to her. He stood in front of her, "I am tired of an old man's dispute running my life. I will no longer let it decide who I am and who I must be."

She saw the anger in his eyes, not directed at her, but at the feud between their families. It was true they should not let it control them.

He stepped back up on the bridge and held out his hand.

With a moments hesitation she took it and followed him onto the bridge.

"Alright, Red."

----
I like Pepper.
Sawyer :)