Chapter 6

The entire walk across the bridge Rian held tightly to the Angel's hand. He would never forgive himself if he left her slip and get carried off by the rushing waters.

He reached the other side and turned around to help the Angel down. He picked her up and then set her down safely on the grassy ground.

"Thank you, Red." She blushed thoroughly.

He dared not to mention she was redder than he was at the moment.

Pepper greeted them as they made it across. He neighed at the sight of his owner.

The Angel gasped, "He is gorgeous." She walked over to him, let him smell her, then pet his nose and under his chin. Pepper stomped in happiness.

"His name is Pepper. A little bit uncreative, I know, but my cousin named him. He was six at the time." Rian explained to the Angel.

She brushed her fingers through his long, silky hair.

Rian watched her run her small fingers across Pepper's jaw.

"Would you like to see the meadow." Her blue eyes snapped to his.

"Well.. since I am on this side I don't see the harm in doing so." She hesitated. She knew she should run back across the bridge and head for home.

"Follow me." He held out his hand for the Angel. She took it hesitantly.

He untied Pepper from the branch and led them through the trees to where the meadow was hidden.

As Vi entered the meadow she gasped. She had never seen so many beautiful flowers. If only her nieces were here to see this, they might faint.

She walked cautiously around the different flowers. There were so many. She had never seen so many different kinds.

The was a small patch of green grass in between the clumps of flowers. Vi sat down in the patch and plucked a daisy up from the ground.

Rian sat down next to the Angel and watched her twirl a daisy in between her fingertips.

"My nieces would absolutely love this place." She smiled and gazed around the meadow. "I wish they could see it." Her smiled faded.

They sat quietly. Rian watched as Pepper munched away on the grass around the meadow. He wanted to ask why she had been crying. He wanted to ask what had hurt her so much.

"Which way is your house?" The Angel asked him.

He looked at her blue eyes, captivated. "It's that way. Through the woods and down a dirt path." He pointed over her shoulder and she turned where he was pointing.

"It's my parents house actually." He added.

"I assumed you lived with your parents." She nodded at his left hand. "You don't wear a wedding ring."

He chuckled, "Yes. My parents probably wish I was married, well my mother at least." He shook his head. His mother would be jumping up and down if she knew he was with a girl.

Then again, this angel was a Dawley.

"I see." Her smile pulled him out of his thoughts.

"What about you? How old are you? Why are you not married yet?" He asked teasingly.

Her smile vanished. She visibly looked in pain.

"I am sorry. I did not mean to offend you milady." He apologized, hoping she would smile again.

"No, I am sorry. I know you did not mean anything by it." She sighed and looked up at him. "It is not an uncommon situation."

She was unsure of whether or not to tell a stranger about her troubles. It sounded so silly to be talking to someone who did not even know her name, about her life.