Before It All

"What!?" I gasp. "No. No way in hell are you taking him away from me."

I hold my arms out in front of him protectively. I glare at the men who want to take the only person I have left from me. If they did this, I'd be nothing but a useless pregnant woman.

Rick and the others were upset too. Daryl had done so much for this group, there was no way we were letting him die. Rick stepped out from the angry glares of the others, his glare fixated on the two men.

"No, you're not killing him." Rick ordered. Everyone rattled after that, agree with our leader.

"We didn't say he would die." James squeaked out of the commotion. The noise suddenly stopped as all heads turned towards the young man.

"He won't?" I took a sigh of relief.

"It depends." Terry intrudes, fear coming back to me. "We'll draw some blood to investigate. If that doesn't work, we need to do brain surgery. It depends on how successful the surgery goes if he lives."

Daryl looks down at his feet, his hands jammed in his pockets. I gaze at him, hoping he just says yes to the blood test. I could care less about the cure, all I wanted was to spend however long I had left with Daryl. If I got ripped apart by the geeks, then so be it.

His head slowly rose up, his lips drawn into a thin line. "I'll do it."

Everyone stared at him in shock. "No, Dare.." I cry.

"It's the only way." he snaps. "No one needs to die no more. I'm done with this apocalypse shit. We're gonna find that cure and everyone will be just fine. Abs." he looks directly at me. "Stop worryin' about me."

My sadden eyes drift towards the ground. I hold back my tears, trying to think of something happy. What the hell was a happy thought? There was just about zero happiness in my life.

"Let's start today." I whisper. "I'll look back at my old notes and figure out what the hell is in that serum."

"I'll help you." Vanessa spoke up.

"James will be in here too. James and I are the only doctors left in our group, the rest all died." Terry spoke sadly. "Everyone should go. I'll investigate the walker over here. Until then, get some sleep everyone. Daryl, we will start the testing the day after tomorrow. Make sure you eat a lot tomorrow so you don't pass out."

Daryl squints down at me. "Abs, ye want me te.."

"Go, Daryl." I growl with a quaver hinted in my voice. "You wanted this, now let me fix it."

He strokes through my hair briefly before taking off with the others. I peer out from under my hair at the door to see him look back. Daryl then disappears out of my sight, his head hung in shame.

"Damn it. Damn it all." I muttered as I sat down in the nearest chair next to the desk. I realized Vanessa's little boy was in there but I didn't care about my word choice right that moment. I glanced over at the walker then at Terry. "You gonna take care of that or what?"

Terry peered over at the walker through his big glass." Ah yes. I will take him into a surgical room. James, you help these ladies out."

He pushed the noisy walker our of the room as Vanessa took a seat near me while James sits down, studying a few papers.

"Men." Vanessa chuckles, shaking her head. "They are something else."

"Damn right they are." I mutter as I scooch forward in my chair. I then bend down and place my small bag on my lap. Zipping it open, I sprawl all my belongs on to the desk. I lean back and study each item carefully. My notebook, a pen, my files, test tubes, and of course, the virus itself.